We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day Safari..April..2013

Lorne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
14 day Safari..April..2013

I am trying to get a trip together for April 2013. I have contacted some operators and they have given me some different trips. I am concerned April although low season might be too wet.

The other concerns I have are the camps and lodges.

Most posters suggest Tarangire Safari lodge for the three nights we have in Tarangire

Another operator has suggested Kikoti outside the park as we would like to do walks and a night game drive. What do you think?

The second concern is where to stay in the Serengeti as there are many different opinions especially for April.

Central or South or Kati Kati one operator said the Western Corridor. For April which is best.

We have a total of 14 days and would like to start in Arusha and end up in Mwanza.

Any help would be welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
976 Reviews
Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
monduli
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

Hi In April for Serengeti is good to be in southern Serengeti Ngutu area were the migration will be there .As long as you like to have night game drive and walking you can choose Kikoti or Oliver camp .

Mentioned in this post
Lorne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

madafaa Thank you for the time you have taken to respond.

What do you and others,if they have the time, think of the following trip. We are 4 adults and have a budget of around $ 7000 each for the 14 days. We all thought that $500 a day could get us a very good safari.

Tarangire for three days. If we want a night game drive then it will have to be Kikoti is that a fair assessment.We have read reviews and comments on many camps in this area most have their pro and cons. Manyara for two days, Maramboi or the Manyara Wildlife Lodge. Ngorongoro Crater again for two days staying probably at Ngorongoro Wildlife lodge. We have heard it has very good views.Now comes the difficult choice Serengeti. We have all read the various comments and reviews for April. The Bradt guide is especially helpful but we still can't pin down a lodge or camp for what will be a five night stay.

After the stay in the Serengeti we are heading west to Mwanza where we will finish the safari. Any help with lodging and the number of nights in each location for April would be welcomed. Once we have a safari worked out with the camps and lodges set then we intend to contact a few Travel Agents to see what price we can get.Our local agent Harvey World Travel who has organized two excellent trips for us in the past, Egypt and Asia,seems to have little knowledge of Africa.

That is why we have come here for advice.

Edited: 17 November 2012, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

Sara P.

If I was you I would read the posts by Stephen- I find him to be a pretty open, honest and unbiased poster. He has delved into the problems of a safari and how to go about it in great detail.

In his posts which I will bump up for your ease of reference there is a discussion about the Manyara lodges and camps and about those of Tarangire both inside the park and outside.

Reading those will answer a lot of questions for you.

Just a bye the bye I would forget Harvey World Travel and opt for a local Tanzania based operator.

When you have done some research on this forum and elsehwere then come back on and post your questions I am sure you will receive some comments from the experts and regular posters.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

Sara we have just booked our safari for this April. In the Serengeti we are doing 2 nights at Mbuzi Mawa as we have never been that far north before so I would like to spend some time there, 2 nights at the Serengeti Sopa so we are in the central Seronera area and 3 nights at Ndutu Safari Lodge. Our safari also has a night in Karatu and 2 nights near Manyara. (We have opted not to visit Tarangire and the Crater this visit as we were there in October). We are paying $290 per person per night for this trip.

If you want anymore information please let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Seronera
Seronera
1,118 Reviews
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Ndutu Safari Lodge
Ndutu Safari Lodge
454 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

Sara,

I will avoid the usual debate on Tarangire as I always stay inside the NP and you want a night drive.

Ngorongoro Sopa always wins my vote for the view and the access road.

Central and Southern Serengeti in April. It may be wet but the animals don't seem to mind! Southern is of course Ndutu Country and from Central you could look at Sopa, set on a ridge overlooking the migration route.

Heading west to Mwanza you could try either "Serengeti Stopover" just by the 'exit' gate or Speke Bay Lodge about 5km further on. Neither will bust the budget.

As NoExpert and others. Deal direct with a recognised and respected Operator based in TZ. Lots on the post on your right.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lorne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

mfuwe and no expert thnks to both of you for your ideas.

I have read a lot of posts and guide books since I last posted. Still a bit confused on a few issues. The agents we have contacted so far are now binned. Thnks for the lodge suggestions for Mwanza.

Shep I am a little confused by your post,are you suggesting for a first trip to Tanzania in April we should skip Tarangire and Ngorongoro and spnd 7 days in the Serengeti and then Manyara and Karatu. What's there to see at Karatu.

thnks for taking the time to respond.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Region, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

The reply from Shep is because he's been previously, so this time he's concentrating time in the Serengeti from the area south at Ndutu and then working their way north to about 1/hr farther than true Central at Mbuzi Mawe.

For you sara, no reason not to visit Tarangire or Ngorongoro. As well time in the Serengeti. Depending on how many days you allow for the Ndutu/Serengeti area, assuming 4/nts... maybe split with 2/each - at Ndutu Safari Lodge or the Lake Masek Camp and then at the Sopa Lodge in the Southern Serengeti.

As to Karatu, while no game and many for whom 'it's all game and nothing else' they wonder why this is even included in an itinerary. But considering safari is sedentary, Karatu is great for 'out of vehicle time' where you have lovely lodges to enjoy walks, bike and maybe even horseback riding or just chillin'. You can also visit a school, orphanage or women's group. It can be nice to be out of a vehicle for a day or two.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 23:52
Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ndutu Safari Lodge
Ndutu Safari Lodge
454 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

First timers should always visit Tarangire. Shep has been before so is skipping there and the Crater for more Serengeti time.

There are several Lodges outside Tarangire so no need to stick with Kikoti unless it really atracts.

with your 14 day one way Safari it could run something like this.

Tarangire 3 nights.

Manyara 1. (could take 2 so you get a full day in the NP.)

Crater 1.

Ndutu 3,

Central 3

That makes 11 but you need a full day at least to get to Mwanza so best to break the journey. I quite liked Robanda but I am not sure how that would fit in in April.

I don't like one night stands either so you could pad those out if time. but one night is really enough for the Crater area unless you want to do a walk or something. You can also walk around Manyara area or visit villages..

Meet up with shep too?

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

Welcome back Princess. Trip report awaited! I did not see your post when posting #8.

I am not sure Shep will be all that pleased to be called a "he!" Leave you ladies to sort that one out! Time I was out of here!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 day Safari..April..2013

sara

Hi

My internet has been playing up hence I am late as usual to your post.

However I will add to the good advice you have already received.

On a first trip to Tanzania (14 days) you must include Tarangire and Ngorongoro.

I would probably do something similiar to what Mfuwe suggests-

Tarangire 3 nights outside the park- April it is better and then also for night game drives. there are Kikoti Boundary Hill Treetops and Naitolia I have stayed in all of them and they are all excellent. See what price you can get and see what operators offer.

Manyara I would stay 2 nights-anywhere

Ngorongoro I like 2 nights-the wildlife lodge has excellent views as does Sopa. See what the operators say and then check the cost.

Now for the Serengeti I don't think Shep of Bristol was suggesting you stay at all the lodges she mentioned - but she can comment herself.

I would stay 3 nights at Ndutu and then head to Seronera ( central) before you go to Mwanza a day with game viewing enroute. 3 nights that would include the last night in the Lake Victoria area-or on the way.

If you go to the Questions top right hand corner 4th question down you will see a list of operators I would choose 5 and email them with a suggested itinerary and then ask for suggestions and lodge options.

Then when you get the itineraries post the ones you like the most here and the price and you will get plenty of advise.

I would skip Karatu-not my cup of tea. Wave as you pass.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Region, Tanzania