We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at JRO

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Arriving at JRO

I am trying to decide on flights.

Want to check the forum members if arriving at JRO at 2am from Istanbul will be a challenge for a first time solo traveler?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at JRO

Could be but shouldn't be. I would book into KIA lodge/hotel right near the airport and ask them to pick you up.

Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at JRO

Hi,

This might not be much help, but I've just arranged flights for 2 of us arriving in Nairobi from Dubai and wanted a flight that arrived during the day. I think we arrive in late afternoon. I personally would be cautious about arriving in the middle of the night.......but maybe you don't have another option.

We'll stay a night in Nairobi and get a bus the next morning to Arusha.

Chicago
Level Contributor
458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at JRO

Shouldn't be an issue at all. My friend and I arrived at about 3am (from Addis Ababa after more than 24 hours of travel) and a driver from our tour operator was there waiting for us. Although It had been suggested that we stay close to the airport, we elected to stay at Arumeru (15 or so minute drive from the airport) and that was just perfect - spacious and beautifully landscaped grounds, the perfect spot to refresh and prepare for our safari.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at JRO

If you have someone there to pick you up, it shouldn't matter whether you arrive n the middle of the night or the middle of the day.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at JRO

I agree. An airport is still an airport whatever time you land there. It could be quieter so Immigraton less crowded (after IST that would be a relief)

Subject to having a pre-aranged meet/pick up you will be OK. KIA is a safe bet.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at JRO

Though the Turkish Air price is more than tempting, it's standard worldwide hotel procedure to charge an extra nite fee (i.e., late arrival) to assure a room is available for you. Likewise if departing with TK at 3:30am, a late departure fee by hotel. Those two can eat up whatever savings on the air fare.

If you still go with TK, just arrange thru tour operator or hotel for meet/greet and transfer.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 16:16
Chicago
Level Contributor
458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at JRO

With respect to 4sandi's post, I note that we had to pay 1/2 night fee (which we thought was acceptable) based upon our 3-4am arrival at Arumeru. But with our frequent flyer ticket, we didn't have the luxury of choices.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at JRO

I don't let such things worry me. If I want a room I take one. Whether I drop into bed at 21.00 or 03.30 next morning is not a problem. I get a sleep, rise when inclined and get fed a decent breakfast. The early dparture means a 3 hour check in so midnight drive to airport. Treat it as a late night on the toot and hang the bed!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at JRO

Just a heads-up, for those who book based on keeping their costs down, not to be surprised when they incur unexpected charges. Do your due diligence.

10. Re: Arriving at JRO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 04:16