We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

hi there,

my TZ safari operator offers me the option to pay either in cash or travellers cheque for the remaining 50% trip balance, due upon in-person arrival, besides the usual credit or debit card + surcharge (which is not a route i want to pursue)

as everyone know, travellers cheque is like dinosaurs these days and i am still trying to figure out where i can get them issued for free or at a low % service fee in the US. if anyone as any idea, i would be happy to hear them. my understanding to date is that american express travellers cheque is the most common one out there, and one has to get it from the banks/agency that issue them.

another option, of course, is to carry these amount in USD cash over to TZ.

the problem here, naturally, is that, whether it is safe to carry around cash in TZ before meeting up with my safari operator in Arusha. my first stop in EAfrica is Zanzibar, will be spending there 4 days before flying over to Arusha to begin my safari journey on Day 5.

how safe is Zanzibar? i have read and heard of robbery stories but i am not sure if these are because the victims are at the wrong place at the wrong time, or is it a prevalent issue, or is it something one can avoid for the most part as long as one practices basic precaution.

my KE tour operator is also offering the same option, so it sounds like i may also be carrying some amount of cash or travellers cheque through the journey until i meet up with my KE tour operator, which wouldnt happen until Day 12 of the trip. so we are talking about substantial amount of money here

p/s: would prefer not to pay the remaining balance before meeting my tour operators in-person. so i am currently not considering that option.

Duma Explorer
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
African Dream Holiday & Photographic Safaris
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Photography Tours
Peacemakers Expedition & Safari
Multi-day Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Asili Explorer
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

just to be clear, on day 12, will be meeting up with KE tour operator at the isebania border. so from day 6 to day 11, basically will be going through tarangire, crater, serengeti the usual northern circuit route.

thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

You are lucky to have the option to use traveller's checks. Most pay alll indvance or carry the cash.

Rather than spend a bunch of time looking for them free, why not just save the angst and buy them at a bank.

However, you may be avle to get them free if you ha e an Amex Card, AAA membership, or from your bank. Check your membership benefits for all credit cards.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

Wow... you are right about the dinosaur thing... we used to use Traveler's Cheques regularly, but they became virtually useless in our travels. Interesting you can use them here.

QM gave you the same tips I would... we got our TC free at both the AAA office and our credit union... I just checked and our AAA local offices issue American Express TC for free.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

ahhh, wished i am in Minnesota then, because the AAA Washington state has stopped issuing this dinosaur since 5-6 years ago!

the best i could find so far is from BofA, which requires a 2% service charge... (of the requested TC you buy)

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

Seems an easy choice to me, pay the 2% or carry it in cash. Or send it to him in advance through a bank transfer then you are done with it. Me, I would take the cash, and recognize the risk.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

I take the cash, too. Have never paid for anything in advance. Keep the money on your person, never leave it in suitcases and NEVER leave it unattended.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

You have 3/choices

1 - wire the funds to KEN and TNZ at fee of about $50 each (easiest)

2- pay 2% for TCs

3-carry cash and chance the possibilities.

... or as idiots mentions - check out AAA or one or your credit cards for free TCs,

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

Traveler cheques are becoming less popular in Tanzania and for good reasons too.Some tour operators might still use them but make sure you either have cash or use your debit card at an atm (just make sure you alert your bank that you will be abroad just incase) because you might not be able to use them for any other services.....(Hakuna Matata)

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Carry travellers cheque or cash in TZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:18