We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bad experience: Meru Mountain Treks and Safaris Ltd.

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arusha, Tanzania
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bad experience: Meru Mountain Treks and Safaris Ltd.

Unfortunately, we had a very bad experience with an Arusha based Safari company, namely, Meru Mountain Treks. We wouldlike to share it so, others can avoid this unpleasant experience.

Our guide was very rude (often started driving without asking if we were ready although we asked him to do that, didnt stop although we asked him to, etc.) and showed no interest in us at all (i still dont know his name because he never introduced himself), always insisted on his own schedule when we suggested changes, he was late a couple of times which meant we lost hours of game drive, disturbed the animals on purpose by making loud engine noises, went much too fast and didn't slow down for crossing animals (almost hit a wildebeest) and he gave us a lot of wrong information about the animals and the geology of Serengeti. He also was a bad spotter and identified a lot of animals wrongly.

On top of that, we got meat although we ordered vegetarian food, we had to go to to karatu (near ngorongoro gate) by bus because we were joining a safari that already had started (although we were promised to go by car), we had all our luggage on our roof all the time (except for half a day) which meant we couldn't see out the front and our car broke down in the end (it wasn't working well all the time, so we had to hitchhike out of the park and go back to arusha by shuttle. There also was a third guy(other than the guide and the cook), who seemed to be some kind of intern, he behaved even more inappropriate and constantly gave us orders (close the window, get in the car) and at one point wanted to throw something at a lion to make him wake up.

All in all this made it very hard to enjoy the incredible place the serengeti is, because the drivers behaviour made us angry most of the time.

When we complained about the guide, the managers response was "i have to say sorry, but you will have to forgive me". It didn't exactly come from the heart.

I then said that i think a partial refund would be appropriate which resulted in aggression and insulting on the side of the manager. His immediate response was "if i will not give you a refund, what are you gonna do? go to the police?" He accused me of wanting to harm his company and just taking advantage of "little problems" to get money out of him. He also called me a "very bad man" . He also lied to me: when we booked he said the guide was his best driver, when we coplained, he suddenly had only used him once before. Also he claimed that he made no profit with this trip. But even if i calculate with the best salaries paid in town, i still find that he must have made at least 400usd.

To me the guide was not a "little problem", but really ruined parts of this experience, which i had dreamed about for a long time. The response of the manager towards a reasonable complaint was absolutely unacceptable. If he had explained me that he absolutely cant made a refund because he would go bankrupt and had shown that he was really sorry, i would have totally understood, but instead he got aggressive and insulting.

My impression is that most budget companies are like that. The guides usually are young and do the job for the money, not out of interest in nature. I would recommend to ask for a guide who is 30+ and has a lot of experience. Always ask to meet your guide before you sign a contract. The extra dollar for a reputable company is probably worth it in most cases.

Wish you a better experience, Marco

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bad experience: Meru Mountain Treks and Safaris Ltd.

Sorry to hear your bad experience... a driver can make or break your experience. I have seen people outwardly arguing with their guides and that's no bueno. Personally I would only do a private safari (not joining another party) as the trip is more tailored to your needs and if this is a once in a lifetime excursion you really want to get it right.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bad experience: Meru Mountain Treks and Safaris Ltd.

I AM SO SORRY TO READ THIS MARCO. The real purpose of posting about Meru Treks the first time, back in 2012 , was that nobody had to go through that again!!!. Aparently you had the same problem that me and Cynthia did, When i tried to talk to him the scandal took place (pushing, yelling, all neighbors watching, SO EMBARRASSING) . Man, im not going to travel all the way from Argentina to take money from you. !!! God!!!.

As i can read ,HE ALWAYS GETS AWAY with it, over and over again. There must be somewhere else where we can accuse this company.

I copy pasted, his facebook profile( he stil working, in the same company as the director) :

https://www.facebook.com/naseeb.ibrahim…

Im sorry again Marco, i bet you dreamed so many times with the serengeti and you didnt expect it to be that way. I loved it anyway . Take care ! Jessica.

3. Re: bad experience: Meru Mountain Treks and Safaris Ltd.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:16