We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Hi,

My safaris trip ends in Arusha. Should I be flying out from NBO or JRO? How much and how long the travel time from Arusha to NBO or JRO? flying out from NBO is cheaper. Advice pls. Thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Arusha is 45 minutes to JRO on a good day.

Arusha to NBO is four to five hours. You will need Kenyan Visa and Yellow Fever Certificate.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Assume you mean flying into and out of? Not just out of.

If safari in Tanzania, it's not unusual to find the fares into/out of NBO less expensive (it's a hub city for East Africa),, but you then have to get to/from Arusha.

Most on budget will take the Shuttle Bus from NBO (about 4-5/hrs) to Arusha. Cost about $35-40/pp one-way, departs 8am or 2pm either direction. - NBO/ARK or ARK/NBO. Can purchase Tanzania Visa at the border.

Depending on arrival time at NBO, you might require o/n hotel besides a Kenyan Visa USD$50 and as doing ground transport a Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same for entry to TNZ.

If you have the $ can fly (50.min) into/out of Kilimanjaro/JRO airport (here Immigration for Visa purchase), from where it's about a 1/hr drive west to Arusha (taxi is about $50 one-way or arrange for your tour operator to meet/greet to Arusha). Flights depart NBO up to 10pm but unless you have sufficient layover time from arriving of at least 2/hrs, most choose to o/n NBO and take flight next morning. And as long as you have to technically enter Kenya the same expenses as if choosing the Shuttle Bus.

Add up all the costs for either option and then make decision.

Some air carriers - Qatar, KLM, Ethiopian & Turkish - fly into/out of both NBO and JRO, so can consider an 'open-jaw' ticket thus no need to return to NBO. However, before doing so check the routing for any of these carriers for layovers and amount of time for these,

Good luck!

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Thank you both for your quick and detailed responses.

Would the shuttle bus from Arusha goes directly to NBO airport (4-5 hrs) or it stops at a central bus station and I'd need to take a taxi from there to the airport? if so, how long for that? Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,204 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

The shuttle stops by the NBO airport. Time vs $ and as 4Sandi details, you have to add up all the extras, then compare. Bussing doesn't happen at night, so the last bus from each town is early to mid afternoon, so you might have to consider additional hotel expenses, meals and time. Here is one example and there are similar

http://www.riverside-shuttle.com/

Costs, bus on that website. To JRO via taxi is $50-60 one way depending on your haggling skills.

Though it is a hassle for arrival and departure times, Turkish and Ethiopian fly into JRO and are cheaper than KLM.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

No need to pay Taxi from Arusha to JRO. any half competent Safari Agent will do 'meet and Greet' and "return for flight" as part of their service.

Qatar also serve JRO now.

NB. Sandi has NBO-ARK for the shuttle. ARK is Arusha airport and shuttles drop in Town centre not the airport.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 22:49
Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Quiltingmamma,

Thank you for sending me the shuttle link. Very useful.

I am planning to take the afternoon shuttle from Arusha directly to NBO airport to catch the 11pm flight out. I assume traffic will be bad during that time and have accounted for it. Worse scenario, If by chance there is accident on the road and I really need to get to airport to catch the flight, is there taxi/alternate mode of transportation available on the highway for me to catch/get in to get to airport?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

If the traffic is 'stuck' the Taxis will be too. there could be an outside chance you could get a Motorbike taxi but that begs the Q as to what you do with your luggage.

I have never missed a flight by using the shuttle yet. Possible I suppose but you have a three hour or so margin for check in..

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

Quiltingmamma/anyone,

Have you ever bought bus tickets thru the Riverside website and safe to give them credit card # over the website? Are there a few bus companies operating this route?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

I have always had my TZ 'Agent' buy the shuttle tickets. Riverside are respectable but a Credit Card is a Credit Card.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from Arusha to NBO or JRO

please read my RECENT FEEDBACKS regarding kenya-tz border crossing experiences,

it details duration of journey and shuttles fares, always pay in local currency,

Kenyan shillings are accepatable on shuttles / buses that cross border betweeen kenay and tz,

and its only KSH 1600 one way compared to paying nearly twice in USD,