We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch near JRO?

cambridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch near JRO?

We are arriving JRO at 1pm and departing at 8:30pm. We would like to have a nice lunch somewhere, but is it necessary to go all the way to Arusha? Is there anywhere closer so we don't have to spend several hours in a car? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch near JRO?

Not really, unless you go to one of the lodges on the way to Arusha or Moshi. You've got plenty of time to go to either Arusha or Moshi and I would do that. Better than sitting in an airport all day.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch near JRO?

The KIA Lodge is ten minutes away. Nice grounds and a pool. Restaurant and Bar.

I am sure if you book they will accommodate you. Maybe even reserve a 'day' room to freshen up?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch near JRO?

Like Mfuwe says, KIA Lodge is the most obvious choice for a place to hang out. I am guessing they would pick you up for something near free if you are planning to have lunch with them. Definitely if you get a day-room.

Or... You might have enough time (if budget is agreeable) to check out a quick trip to Lake Duluti Lodge. Look it up and then ask them what they can do for you.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Duluti Lodge
Lake Duluti Lodge
140 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch near JRO?

As a few others mention, arrange for a dayroom at KIA Lodge, where you can refresh, enjoy pool, have lunch or early dinner. The Lodge will transfer you to the airport (5-10/min) to be there 2/hrs prior your homebound departure for checkin/security.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
778 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch near JRO?

I second (third?) KIA lodge and trying to get in a trip to Duluti and maybe eating at Serena (I have not eaten there-I just drink beer at nice lodges) you could rent canoes from them. Just don't stay at the airport-it is not one to hang out in for hours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch near JRO?

KIA lodge yes, you can book a day room and have lunch there, ask your safari company or agent to arrange this accordingly. If you are flying out on KLM then make sure you are there early.

Other than that, you have a very good option at Onsea House or Rivertrees on your way to JRO, same applies, book through your tour operator or agent.

Then there is a very nice lunch at Shanga River House (coffee farm on the airport side) of Arusha, it serves very good buffet lunches and empowers disabled, deaf and blind Tanzanians through glass and bead work on a daily basis and is an inspiring place to go. If you have time go see them!

tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g297913-…

Enjoy lunch

Carel

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
7. Re: Lunch near JRO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17