We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

I would like to know if anyone has a good source for purchasing Tanzanite in Arusha.? What should a six to eight carat trillion cut stone cost with good color?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

According to color and quality of cut, anywhere from $250 to $400 a caret. Use the search option above to find where I've posted this same information on Tanzanite sales.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

How can obtain a tanzanite color chart? How is the best way to purchase a stone? With cash, credit cards etc? I am concerned about caring this amount of cash.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

Do you still recommend Mr. Winston Laizer of sunset camp?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

Very difficult to use a credit card there hardly anyone accepts them and if they do they add the fees onto the charges. If you don't want to carry the money, have someone back in Cinci that you trust hold the money for you and Moneygram it to you (there are Moneygrams in all Walmarts). You can pick it up at a bank there which handles Moneygrams (look on the Moneygram web site for locations). It will be a gob of money as they will give it to you in Tanzanian Shillings and it will most probably be over 3 million and the largest note is a 10,000 T Sh note.

And yes Wiston is a good gemstone dealer. Do be a good negotiator for the price. If you contact Wiston he will most probably come to your hotel with all kinds of stones. His office used to be in a rather remote area which was difficult to get to.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

Did you get your tanzanite? Were you happy with the purchase, i ask because I am heading there in a few days and have been trying to find a reputable seller of these stones. Do you know if anyone sells uncut stones?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,478 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

.... and what areyou going to do with an uncut stone?

By the time it's cut and polished and set... you can probably find a reputable jeweler in MEL or SYD at a comparable price or a few $$$ more, but at least you have someone with whom to get it 'just right' or complain.

Though I have W.47th St. the Diamond District nearby here in NYC, I wouldn't think to just walk into a shop to ask for anything. I'll do lookie-see and ask questions, but you've got to know your stone and especially the dealer. Even transiting AMS and JNB airports where they sell diamonds right in the terminal... no way would I ever. Would need a name/referral before I'd put down my $$$ or plastic.

7. Re: Purchasing tanzanite in Arusha.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:15