We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No frills hotels' recomendations?

Budapest
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
No frills hotels' recomendations?

Hi !

Can somebody recomend me any no frills hotels, hostels or guesthouses in Arusha, which are cheap, very modest but safe and reliably clean? One thing to be important: private facilities must be in the room, not shared.

If there are some, how to renter them in advance?

What's your opinion about Midway hotel? Or Monjes Guesthouse?

Or Jambo Hotel?

May be somebody stayed in these?

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

Hi

Flamingo guest house is getting very popular, but as with most smaller guest house's hard to book in advance.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
386 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

Check out the website for Le Jacaranda...its very pleasant especially with all the trees in flower at the moment......

Also Meru House Inn which is VERY cheap, but in a busy part of town...its popular amongst backpackers....Around $10 per nt...last time I looked, its owned by the couple who run Victoria Expeditions....and then if you want a tent there's always Maasai Camp....out along the Old Moshi Road...this is owned by Mike the Englishman who runs..Tropical Trails....and is a hotspot on the weekend for a lot of the volunteers.......

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Meru House Inn
Meru House Inn
44 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Gyor-Moson-Sopron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

Hi,

Any news about the Flamingo Hotel (Kikuyu St., Arusha, Tanzania)? Does anyone have any contact to them? Thanx

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
778 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

The problem with cheapos (you didnt mention a price range-if cheap goes up to 30-40$ there are several more places) is that it can be difficult to contact them ahead of time since they dont have websites-and even with a phone number-that can be expensive, frustrating (if their English is worse than your Swahili) and even then you may show up to find no reservation. You may just want to make a list of potential places and when you get there hit one and hope its not full. City Link is a bit under $30 and right on the Nairobi-Moshi Rd. There are also rooms at the Ethipoian restruant near Impala-Spices and Herbs-I checked them a few years ago and they were under 20....not a good deal in my opinion but self contained.

I know you dont want shared facilities but at LOasis Lodge their Backpackers Paradise rooms are nice and the bathrooms are Western style (at alot of those cheapos you get a yucky squat) complete with toilet paper, and a hot clean shower. Thats where I stay-its just under 20 bucks and you get to use the lodge facilities (pool, nice open bar and great food). Also unlike alot of places you can contact them in advance and be assured your room will be there for you when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Impala Hotel
Impala Hotel
295 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

you could also try The Outpost

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

I was also thinking Outpost.

Gyor-Moson-Sopron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

thanx guys... lots of options... need to choose one, but still have time until January

Kolb��ck
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

Hello,

The Hotel Flamingo is easy to contact and has very clean en-suite rooms. I was there in July (2009).

www.windsofafrica.org/Hotels/Hotels.html

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

Hi

We are staying at Songota Falls Lodge just out of Arusha, it gets great feedback and is around $49 double bed and breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
10. Re: No frills hotels' recomendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2010, 05:18