We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania safari transfers

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Tanzania safari transfers

My wife and I are planning a safari in June 2007. We have already purchased our plane tickets, and will land in Nairobi at 1415h, 4th June 2007 (Emirates). Our safari tour will depart from Arusha...

We were planning to catch a shuttle bus from the airport to Arusha immediately after landing, but from my enquiries, it would seem that the latest shuttle bus leaves at 1400h!

Is there any way of making this journey in the early afternoon for a reasonable cost? We would like to avoid spending a night in Nairobi as this will waste a day of our trip??

Any advise would be most appreciated!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Hi

By time you get through immigration and customs it will be way too late, the other otions are (1) private transfer cost $250-$300 (2) get a taxi into Nairobi and then get the 9 seater private cars that take you as far as the Namanga boarder cost is circa $8 pp at the boarder once you have walked over you get another private car to Arusha for about the same cost.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Thankyou very much, at least we know there is no hope of making a shuttle now!

How would we go about arranging a private transfer? Is this something that should be done in advance or can we do it on arrival??

I did hear that the 9 seater cars can be very dangerous- is this true, and why are they dangerous? They seem to be a very cheap option...

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Hi,

is there no possibility to get a flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro Airport?

Bye

Chrissy

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Kenya fan, many thanks- we could do this and there is a flight available at the right time, it is just a cost we hoped to avoid as the shuttle bus is so much cheaper.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Hi,

i can understand you, but think of the time you are not on the road. On safari, you spend many times in the bus or jeep and sometimes it is better to fly some distances.

Okay, the costs are higher, but i think it is even much more comfortable and you can relaxed go on safar.

Wish you a very nice safari

Bye

Chrissy

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
358 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

Seeing you are planning this well in advance, maybe you could fly in the day before, overnight in Nairobi and take the shuttle at 8am..

I think the following is pretty close to what you will pay ...I suggest this, because Karl is correct any holdup with any part of your itinerary will mean you are travelling at night...and really that road is not safe at night....you only need a problem at the border and there goes an hour...

One night Nairobi...stay somewhere like the Boulevard as its cheap and clean..$75 double

Transfers from Airport to hotel $50

Transit Kenya Visa $20 per person x 2 40

Davanu Shuttle bus (will pick you up at hotel) $20 ea x 2 $40

Nairobi/Arusha.....

Cost of peace of mind and safety PRICELESS!!!!

I also notice you are travelling by coach to Dar.....then overnight to catch the ferry.............WHY are you putting yourselves through this horror...10-12hours on a bus with virtually nothing to look at, hurtling along at BREAKNECK speeds believe me...its not worth it...but hey you might say $50 and you'll be the one who writes how terrible Tanzania was...

I would suggest you fly on Air Excel or ZanAir direct from Arusha airport direct into Zanzibar, saving many costs and time..the cost of two tickets is approx $320....Tanzania has vast distances on average roads...anyway thats my advise.

Cheers, Wendy

7. Re: Tanzania safari transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 17:25