We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay at Khao Lak

London, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay at Khao Lak

My husband and I are coming to Khao Lak on the 31st of January and will then leave for Phuket on the 7th of February. We want to visit Similan/Surin for snorkelling (used to be diving but since I am pregnant, it will have to be snorkelling)

I am incredibly lost in trying to figure out a place to stay in Khao Lak. Our budget is between 2500 and 3500 THB per night and since I am pregnant, we would like a place where we can walk to the town.

Also a room with a view of the ocean will be nice.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Have a look here khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eNangThongBeach.htm

here

khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

and AsiaRooms.com

for resorts within your price range at various locations.

On Nang Thong Beach, the Baan Khao Lak and Nang Thong Bay Resort I & II are both excellent resorts and seem to meet your criteria. There is, unusually on the Khao Lak coastline snorkeling around the rocks in this part of the beach. Both have very good restaurants of their own and you are within easy walking distance of many moreup thye road at Bang La On, the main centre of Khao Lak.

If you see anything else, just post more questions. :)

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Hi

I would agree with Arandora his suggestions are excellent choices for Khao Lak. You have a choice of many good restaurants in khao lak Jai's, Phu khao lak,Everyday House,Khao Lak seafood, Somsri,Bussaba plus many more.

Julie

london
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

The Bann Khao lak is a beautful resort. I stayed there last year. The rooms and the bathrooms are huge and very stylish. If you can afford one of their cottages just set back from the beach then go for it because they're gorgeous. Fantastic pool area overlooking the beach...and all you have to do is walk up the resorts driveway to the road and you will find all the restaurants etc

Good luk

London, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Thank you for your very good suggestions. Following your advice I have reserved a seaside bungalow at Nang Thong Bay Resort II by emailing them directly. Baan Khao Lak looks nice too but Nang Thong Bay Resort is more affordable. They charge 3000 THB per night so it is in the middle of our budget as well which is nice.

Now I can concentrate on trying to figure out a good guide to go snorkeling with.

On that note, any thoughts on which one would be a better snorkeling site: Similan or Surin islands?

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Hi

They are both good snorkeling sites. I was informed on my last visit by a thai local that Similan is the better for diving over Surin and that they consider Surin the better for snorkeling. You should still see amazing marine life at both.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Having been to both I would agree with Julie but our trip to the Similans was a day trip and spoiled a bit by some sites not being available due to very strong currents. On the other hand we had 2 nights on the Surins so had much more opportunity.

The Similans are prettier with more to see on land and the departure point is nearer (about 15 minutes south of KL compared with Kuraburi for the Surins whih is 1 hour 15 minutes north).

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

Avoid KL Orchid Beach, we had a lot of maintenance problems (3 floods) in our room & they are putting in 56 more rooms, which will annihilate the view.

Being that you are pregnant, I don't think you should do the speed boat to either Surin (better for snorkeling) or Similan (closer) as bouncing up/down on the wave may do a number on your back.

There is a slow ferry that leaves for Surin at 9 AM & returns around 1 PM... but it would be more comfortable.

We drove by the Le Meridian, the Similana & I know they have snorkeling off their beaches.

We rented a Honda-CRV SUV with Budget, but EuroCar is cheap too... they deliver to the hotel & pick you up. Tell Budget International that you want to rent in Phang-Nga (as they do not list Khao Lak town but the province P-Nga) & you can get miles with United Airlines.

If you're careful about mopeds, crazy drivers & speeding buses, you can drive yourself wherever you want & stay up the coast at Le Meridien & snorkel from your beach.

I drove the area for a week, out to KKK island on the ferry, to Phang-Nga, to the Koh Sok National Park, etc., and never had a problem... and it's a lot more comfortable in your automatic w/ A/C & leather seats... you can take water, fruit, snorkel stuff, towels w/ you & have more control over your travels.

There are maps available on the Khao Lak Lovers website to download...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

There is very limited snorkeling near the rocks at the headland between the Le Meridien and the Similana (which you cannot access at the moment or get around as it is being rebuilt) but no coral or reef. There is better but equally limited snorkeling near the rocks in front of the Nang Thong Bay Resort on Nang Thong Beach and near the Paradise resort on Khao Lak Sunset Beach, but again no coral or reef.

London, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

So seeing as I can't take a speed boat (since I am pregnant) to Similans or Surin. How about getting a ferry to one of these islands and meeting up with a tour operator there? Are there any tour operators who could work this way?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay at Khao Lak

There are no ferries as such. Only a speedboat or a once a day "slowboat" which is a larger boat once a day from Thap Lamu pier to the Similans. According to this website http://phuket.sawadee.com/similan_np.html

"This tour boat departs from Thap Lamu Port at 08.00 am. in everyday. From the port to this islands is about 70 kilometers which takes about 3.5 - 4 hours of journey. The return boat from Mu Ko Similan National Park to Thap Lamu Port departs at 14.00 pm. in everyday."

So you won't have much time on the islands or to join a day tour where most of the snorkelling is from the speedboat.

There's no such option to the Surins as far as I'm aware.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak