We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

khao lak paradise vs others?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
94 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
khao lak paradise vs others?

Hi..I am considering the Paradise and have seen many great reports on tripadvisor. It is my first time on a Thai beach holiday (we will have spent 4 days in Laos and are looking for a place to chill out for 5 days). We usually stay at 4-5 star boutique places and I had considered the Sarojin but the paradise seems more authentic and better value. Any thoughts..? Would like somewhere peaceful but not too far from local restaurants etc. We had also considered Koh Lanta / Krabi or Phi Phi. Any opinions on choosing Khao Lak vs these places? Thanks in advance.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

Hi

The Sarojoin is wonderfull but so is the Paradise resort both are excellent . Koh Lanta i have not been to yet Krabi and Phi Phi i love Krabi for the scenery and the offshore islnds, Phi Phi is nice but not sure if i would want to stay here my opinion nice for a day trip. Krabi ie Ao Nang and Railay very touristy beaches not brilliant apart from Phranang at Railay. Khao Lak is a great chill out resort fantastic beaches and resturants.

From the Paradise you have about a 15 minute walk into Khao Lak town from the Sarojin there are a few beach restaurants outside depending on what time of year you are going as in the green season a lot close down. In khao lak you have a wide choice of really great eating places.

Julie

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

Hi,

One thing to bear in mind is that The Sarojin is built in a modern style and has rooms in blocks, wheras the rooms at The Paradise are more traditional and it does have some individual villas.

At The paradise it's also a walk up the hill via many steps to get from the rooms to the reception, which may be an issue for some.

We have stayed at The Sarojin and had a 'tour' of The Paradise. The Sarojin is on the nicer beach of the two, but the current development next door may be an issue.

An alternate to look at may be The Haadson on Bangsak beach, but this is further from Khao Lak centre than either The Sarojin or Paradise but does have some nice local restaurants.

Krabi probably has fewer beaches that Khao Lak and the main one at Ao Nang is more developed. In Krabi the boutique resorts are a few miles away from the town at Tub Kaak beach.

We like both Krabi and Khao Lak, so our next trip will include both locations!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
94 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

I've considered the tub kak in Krabi but the fact that the krabi beaches are very busy / developed puts me off a bit even though I've heard the scenary is beautiful.. I've considered the Haadson...it looks nice. Thanks for the suggestions so far..

TAMWORTH AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

Hi , if you are going to stay in khao lak, have alook at THE CHONGFAH RESORT on bang niang beach. we stayed there in november, it was a amazing place right on the beach, boutique resort. in and out door bath room , beach front bungalaow has out door spa. they also they have good rates for this resort on asia web, staff were fantastic, breakfast was great , the only thing we didn"t like was , we had to leave, web sit www.chongfahresort.com have a look, have a great holiday kindest wishes whoopi

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

Hi,

On balance to meet your requirements I think the Paradise would suit - see pics from last February at http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7922925

Also the beach frontage of the Sarojin has been severely curtailed by the building of a new bungalow resort immediately adjacent to it, which restricts its exclusivity somewhat. Cannot imagine why they had to build it so close (or at all!!!) as there is plenty of space to have a left a decent gap. The Sarojin is is using temporay space in front of what was the Similana just down the beach.

Another resort for consideration though, certainly in the boutique 4/5* category is the Luckana Wadee, situated on the delightful Khao Lak (South) beach - see pics also from last February at http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7618249

We walked Khao Lak Beach the evening before last and now that all the development has been completed (there are only 4 other resorts there) it is a very nice little area indeed.

The Luckana Wadee stands out in several ways. It is very small and intimate with only 10 very nicely furnished villas and suites and even your own multi-media suite which you can have exclusive use of for viewing DVDs on HUGE home cinema screen, listening to music etc. and good other facilities. See http://www.luckanawadee.com/ The bar there was offering some very tempting and very different cocktails when we strolled past. It also has huge settees on the verge overlooking the beach and double "His & Her" sun loungers. A very distinctive resort! Some TA members will be staying there shortly, hence our advance scouting for them, and no doubt will be posting their views.

A new very nice seafood restaurant has appeared adjacent to the established Jo Seafood and there are now several more a short walk up on either side of the highway. You can also dine at the restaurants of the other resorts, most of which overlook the beach and ocean. If you want more variety and shops, the main community of Khao Lak at Bang La On is a pleasant 10 minute drive away over the mountain.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

For character and style, I'd go for Khao Lak Paradise and Luckanawadee (great suggestion Arandora!). And if you want the feeling of a small resort - go with Luckanawadee.

Sarojin is fine and has quite a loyal following ,but I quite like the character and ambiance of the two other places.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
94 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. The luckawadee looks great! I think I was right to hesitate about the Sarojin. Prices are so high as it appears in every UK travel companys website. But I love discovering places that are a little under the radar screen. I'm sure I'll have more questions before the trip!

8. Re: khao lak paradise vs others?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak