We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

Hello everyone

Sadly, my knees aren't what they used to be. Your advice would be priceless around the choice of KL resort ie one with a minimal amount of steps or stairs. We are currently considering the Merlin (2 bedroomn villa) or Le Meridien.

Any thoughts would be priceless!

Many thanks in advance

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,691 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

Hi there,

I know how you feel. I've got dodgy hips but find the Khao Lak climate very therapeutic. That or the cold Chang - or both! LOL

Both resorts you have chosen are large, the Merlin probably having the bigger grounds, but both have some accommodation/facilities on different levels.

The main Reception and restaurant at the Merlin is set above the grounds where the very nice villas are located nearer to the beach than to Reception.

Here's a link to an album of photos of Khao lak Beach where the Merlin is situated and which includes some of the villas taken for a TA member while we were in Khao lak last Jan/April.

picasaweb.google.com/Arandora/KhaoLakBeach…

There are just 5 resorts sharing this very lovely crescent bay with a few restaurants within easy walking distance from the Merlin and a few more a bit further up on the highway. Bang La On where most restaurants, bars and shops are located is about 10 minutes by taxi over the mountain.

The Le Meridien is at the northern end of Khao Lak on Pak Weeb Beach which is part of the beautiful Bang Sak Bay. There are a few beach restaurants within walking distance and, a couple more on the highway outside the main gates. Bang La On is about 10-15 minutes by shuttle or taxi. There are 3 types of villas in the beautiful grounds here, all being on the same level as the restaurants with few stairs. The main Reception and lobby/bar is up steps and the Deluxe Hotel room accommodation is on 3 levels overlooking the Le Spa pool. There are also suites on this level. More hotel rooms overlook the family pool.

Some photos of the Le M and the beach from our last stay there a couple of years ago at photos.orange.co.uk/my/album…

To be honest I don't think you will be much troubled by stairs at either resort unless you stay in the Le Spa wing at Le M, when you will need to go up and down stairs from the upper floors (recommended over the ground floor pool view rooms.)

Hope this helps.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

Hi Rowie 1

Just to add to the information already provided from Arandora. there are lifts in Le Meridian in the Spa wing serving all 3 floors.

Manicus.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

I would say there are quite a few steps up from the villas to the breakfast area at the Melin. I am just think of my parents who both have trouble with their kness and I would not recommend they stay there. A great hotel though.

I have not stayed at LM.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses - true TA care at work!

Rowie1

5. Re: Resort selection - Help for old, dodgy knees :))

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:17