We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak over Phuket

Newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak over Phuket

Hi there

We are looking at returning to Thailand in January 2012 and was considering Khao Lak instead of going back to Patong. We are a family of four (kids 18 & 13) and just need a nice hotel with a big pool, close to the beach and restaurants, and a few shops to buy T shirts, DVDs and other nik naks. I am looking at the Ramada Hotel as an option. If we enjoyed Patong will Khao Lak suit us a holiday destination.?

Thanks

PS Do they have the pancake carts here?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Hi

we have been going to Phuket and mostly Patong for the last 10 years but last sept we decided to go to Khao Lak for the last 10 days of our holiday, it was such a welcome change and felt like we were actually on holiday and not chasing around all the time, 10 days was nowhere near enough time for us so we are going back this year again, we loved it :-)

there are no tuk-tuks, you do have taxi's open songthaew vehicles but not hassled by them, tailors and massage ladies but not hassled by them either, everyone is so friendly

shopping you will get all that you are looking for but not dvd's, they have lots of t-shirts, nik naks etc but not the range you get in Patong, you can do a shopping day tour to Phuket/Patong if you wish or a couple nights in Patong before or after Khao Lak

Patong and Khao lak are like chalk and cheese... soooooo different, so if you are wanting the busy busy lots of shopping and nightlife that you get in Patong then KL might be too quiet for you, if you are happy to leave all that behind then Khao Lak is the perfect place, it has a good mix of everything and fantastic beaches

Ramada is a good option and in a good location right on a beautiful beach

we stayed at Merlin which is the south end of KL and you can walk out to a few restaurants etc but have to get a taxi into the main town 150bhat but not far to go about 10 min ride

OH Yes!!! "do they have the pancake carts"..... YOU BET.... i had some at the markets YUM!!

a day tour or night or 2 to Khao Sok national park and lakes is amazing, and would recommend doing that

i have a small slideshow that i done of our trip to Khao Lak/ Khao Sok last Sept click on the first movie (have others on other places on there too)

http://tiny.cc/j2zj6

look on www.khaolaklovers.com for more info

all the best :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

As you have already been to Phuket, although Patong is definitely not my favourite area there I would go to Khao Lak, it is much quieter but you should find all your looking for.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Just a different perspective - we go Phuket lots, but hate Patong except for the occasional shopping trip. We love Khao Lak.

You will not get anything like Patong in Khao lak.

So if you are looking for beautiful beaches, nice places to eat and peace- go to Khao lak

Edited: 27 January 2011, 09:32
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,182 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Arrive at Phuket Airport, turn right and in just over an hour you are in Patong. Turn left and in the same time you are in Paradise! :-)

Nothing to add to the previous replies, other than have a look at the Top Questions on the right for FAQs about Khao Lak and at this link for recent pics of the Ramada, picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/Ramada… an excellent resort on perhaps the best part of Bang Niang Beach with beach restaurants and massage places either side and other restaurants, bars and shops in the side roads and up to the highway. See latest map of Bang niang at www.khaolakforum.de/index.php…

... and, yes, there are pancake carts!!

Edited: 27 January 2011, 09:41
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Hi,

The Ramada is a lovely hotel and a good choice Bang Niang has plenty to offer . I do not think you will miss Patong.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
273 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Can definitely recommend the Ramada...Khao Lak is a lot quieter than Patong but a good choice for chilling out at the end of your holiday.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Hi,

Mossy from Perth has put it in a nutshell, Khoa Lak is nothing like Patong its what we call a REAL HOLIDAY. Believe me you wont be disappointed, Daz and I are going back in April for a month which will be our 5th time back,and staying at The Merlin Resort. Bang Niang Beach is also another great place to go for meals, bars and oh yes the markets(pancakes). ENJOY :)

Lush and Daz

Newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Thanks for all the replies. I had read through all the FAQ and was pretty much sold on Khao Lak but just wanted that last little bit of reassurance. So yes we will turn left as we leave the airport and head up to "paradise".

Dot

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak over Phuket

Good choice.... Enjoy :-)))

West Aussie
Level Contributor