We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Hi Tripadvisor,

We will hopefully be visiting Khao Lak for the last 4 nights of our Honeymoon - which co-incides with Songkran. (After staying 7 nights at Le meridien in Phuket)

We wondered if you could suggest a good hotel?

We have been offered a good rate for a jacuzzi room at the Orchid, but we would like a beach villa in a 5 star boutique hotel (is there such a thing?)

We also would like to be able to eat outside of the hotel on occassion, so walking distance to a restaurant or 2 would be great (especially on the beach)

Where is the best place to be for Songkran in Khao Lak?

Thank you in advance

MJ London

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,229 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

First, there is no best place in Khao Lak for Songkran. Compared to other places, particularly Bangkok, it is a subdued affair which starts at about 11am and ends about 5pm on 13th April. As Khao Lak is essentially a "ribbon" destination i.e, mountains and forest on one side, beaches on the other of Highway 4 that runs through its length, festivities of water throwing and water fights take place all along the highway with concentrations of the fun at or near bars in Bang la On and Bang Niang, the two main townships.

The most select 5* boutique resort is the Sarojin on Pak Weeb Beach, a favourite resort for honeymooners, although it does not have beach villas. The Le Meridien about 800 metres north from the Sarojin is 5* and has beach villas but is a large resort although the beach villas are away from the rest of the resort and do have a degree of privacy. There are beach restaurants within walking distance of both resorts.

Hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Thank you Arandora

Can you advise your thoughts on the Orchid or Paradise Resort?

Do they have beach restaurants close by?

I know it's to do with opinion, but IYHO are they spectacular enough for our honeymoon.

I want everything to be as perfect as possible :-)

Thank you

MJ London

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Hi MJ London.

Just had 5 night stay with my wife at The Orchid Beach Resort and it was fantastic.... Couldn't fault the resort or their operations... Rooms very clean, spacious and all the amenities one could ask for. All rooms look over this georgeous pool, manicured grounds and spectacular beach. There is a very nice restaurant at the hotel serving great food and about 1 Km walk down the beach to the south is a great little restaurant bar called, The SUNSET BAR ". where you experience dining right on the beach. Although the resort is about 10/15 minutes from Bangla On the hotel provides a shuttle service to and fro on the hour every hour which is very convenient. If you are on a honeymoon this hotel could suit perfectly. The hotel is rated about 4 star however it is very good value for money... Any further info needed send me a PM.

Cheers and good luck.

Bob & Chris.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,229 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Hi MJ,

The Paradise Resort is a lovely resort located on the equally lovely Sunset Beach. Although not direct beach front they do have b ach facing villas just back from the beach with others set in the hillside leading upto Reception on the highway. The restaurant is excellent as is service. A very poplar resort with regular good recommendations and lots of rebokkings, which speaks for itself. There are no independent restaurants on Sunset Beach but you can dine at any of the neighbouring resorts. There are only six altogether on this stretch of beach. The main town of Bang la On is about 20 minutes walk along the beach by day (but not recommended at night as there is a rocky outcrop to navigate) or 5 minutes by taxi or shuttle. Highly recommended.

The Orchid Beach is set on the beautiful Khuk Khak Beach with just one local restaurant , the splendid Sunset Bar where you will enjoy a very different Sunset Dinner, very special for a honeymoon. There are only 3 jacuzzi suites each with a jacuzzi tub on the p[atio with loungers directly facing the ocean - wonderful at sunset.

Each of these resorts have their own attraction as a honeymoon venue. We will be celebrating our 42nd Wedding anniversary in a jacuzzi suite at the Orchid at the end of March but would equally enjoy being at the paradise.

Decisions, decisions!

Pics of Khuk Khak Beach including some of Orchid Resort and Sunset Bar taken recently at https:/…

Pics of Sunset Beach at https:/…

Please let me know if I can help further.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

The Ramada is a beautiful resort and it has beach villas. It is also a small resort that is popular amonsgt couples. It is on Bang Niang Beach which has many options for restaurants both on the beach and in the town.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,229 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Sorry,

Thanks for reminding me especially when we have friends staying in a beach front villa at the moment.

Pics of Ramada at https://picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/Ramada…

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Hi there

We stayed at La Flora on our honeymoon last April, and loved it so much we're going back this year for our anniversary! I can't really comment on the other hotels, but in our opinion La Flora was ideal - beautiful hotel right on the beach, and within walking distance of lots of restaurants - some on the along the beach and some slightly inland. Songkran was really good fun at the hotel, although we didn't venture into the town that night.

See you there!

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Hi Rachh99,

can you advise what room type you stayed in at La Flora for your honeymoon?

Thanks

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

Relax! You're putting far too much effort into booking "the perfect hotel for my honeymoon" when all of those mentioned are terrific. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment and a ruined trip going to Thailand expecting every conceivable detail to be perfect. It can't be. That said, anything at the level of Le Meridien will by fine. Expect limited English at times, slow service and the always present "Sorry, cannot". Remember, it takes 3-4 Thai employees to do 1/2 the work of one western worker. Lower your expectations a tad and be pleasantly surprised for your honeymoon rather than angry and disappointed.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,229 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak - Honeymoon - Songkran 2011

"Remember, it takes 3-4 Thai employees to do 1/2 the work of one western worker" - unnecessary and unfair comment from a first time poster!

MJ,

I hope the other more constructive replies help you make what most people regard as one of the most important decisions for newlyweds.