We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable hotels

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable hotels

Hi. We are from South Africa and would like to go to Khao Lak next year. We have been to Phuket, Krabi and Samui. The hotels are just too many to try and choose from. We are looking for a nice place to stay and within walking distance from the shops, restaurants etc. Any suggestions? The Sarojin is out of our price range!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable hotels

I have just posted a JBR that may help you. I would recommend the La Flora on Bang Niang Beach as it is an excellent starting place like us being first timers. You didn't mention what time of the year you were visiting.

We went for a walk one morning and looked at other places to the right of La Flora and really liked the look of the Fanari close to FX and Ayara. It is a small resort (Fanari) but the rooms were right on the beach and the rooms looked lovely with new flatscreen TVs. The price he offered us was terrific but that was a walk in price in April, the end of the high season.

If you're staying for a bit, I'd stay in 2 places. Read up past forums as there's heaps here. Good luck.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,948 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable hotels

Prices depend very much when you plan to visit as prices for the Low (Wet) Season from My to October fall to often less than half of High (Dry) Season the rest of the year, except Xmas/New Year when they are their highest. The Sarojin being the most expensive (except for special deals) in Khao Lak, you have a wide range to choose from.

So when are you planning on going?

Do you want resort/hotel style or bungalows?

Do you want beachfront or near to beach?

What is your daily budget for accommodation?

Here are some links to look at accommodation and come back for advice on any you fancy:

www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/

http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

Look at the Top Questions on the right and the FAQs relating to places to stay etc. See the map at http://www.khaolakmap.com/

The main township is Bang la On where you will find most restaurants, shops and bars. The beach for this area is Nang Thong Beach which is just down from the highway which runs the length of Khao Lak. Just 10 minutes up the highway (by taxi) is the second largest township of Bang Niang with a beach of the same name. There are many restaurants and bars here, more on the beach or overlooking it than on Nang Thong.

Latest map of Bang Niang at www.khaolakforum.de/index.php… Sorry, there isn't such a one for Bang La On. Wish there was!

Khao Lak (South) Beach, the first you reach coming from Phuket before going over the mountain has a handful of good quality resorts, a beautiful beach with another one adjacent to it and a growing number of restaurants on or near the beach or on the highway. Just 10 minutes to Bang La On by taxi/shuttle.

Other resorts are on the more northerly beaches, with just a few local restaurants nearby but which close in the Wet Season.

Hope this helps.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable hotels

Hi,

I really like Bang Niang if you want walking distance to a very good selection of shops,bars and restaurants it also has a market 3 days a week. PJswan has mentioned the Fanari which is worth a look a small boutique hotel which is very nice I stayed at the FX Resort same company own both hotels here is a link to my report and photos of both hotels. I also split my time by staying at Pakweeb 15 minutes further north .

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Other hotels worth looking at besides La Flora, Ramada,Chong Fah and Khao Lak Riverside.

Bang La On Baan Khao Lak resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort and Khao Lak Bhandari Resort

Khuk Khak Beach but more isolated with a handful of restaurants in high season JW Marriott 15 minutes to Bang La on from here Pakweeb near to Sarojin Le Meridien and also Kantary Beach Hotel.

Julie

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable hotels

Thanks to all who replied. The Chong Fah looks nice. We will be going in May/June next year. Another week and we are off to Krabi for 3 weeks. Can't wait!!

Beckenham, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable hotels

Hi there, we are booked to stay at the Bhandari in early November which is close to Ban La On. We would like to find out how lively the village is. We are not looking for wild nightlife but would also be disappointed if everything closed at 1130pm! We like going for dinner and then to a bar for a few drinks. Thanks Sue

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,948 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable hotels

Bang La On, often called Khao Lak Town or just Khao Lak, is the largest township in Khao Lak and has the most restaurants, bars and shops. The Bhandari is located just across an access road from Nang Thong Beach and about a 15 minute stroll up to the centre of Bang La On.

Khao Lak is generally a family or couples orientated destination with a laid back style and much is closed by 11.30 pm. However, there are enough late bars such as the Happy Snapper, Monkey Bar and Dragon Bar in Bang La On which open until late (very late!) and have great live music. Or go 10 minutes (by taxi) up the road to Bang Niang and you will find more including the great Degree Bar, Songs Bar, the new 1 2 Bar and Zantika Thai pub.

More than enough after a meal in one of the many great restaurants - click on the FAQ on the right for many Members' recommendations.

Goteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable hotels

@Sue Ellen Beckenham:

Bhandari is an excellent choice. Very good value for money, authentic thai feeling, the hotel premises are green and has a very nice pool area. We have been to a lot of hotels in KL and Bhandari is our favorite one. Arandora is the absolute guru when it comes to KL, but I have to disagree with the 15 minute walk, it takes maximum 10 minutes to walk to the centre.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,948 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable hotels

Collberg,

Judging by your pic you are a lot younger - and fitter! - than me and there are "distractons" on the way. :-)

Goteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable hotels

The pic is taken bk (before kids), I have been aging 15 years since 2007!

I guess the distractions are located at the Reindeer Bar LOL

10. Re: Reasonable hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 10:16