We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area for me to stay

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
best area for me to stay

Hello everyone

I'm hoping someone can give me clearer understanding of the Khao Lak area. I've looked at all the different resorts and also read the right hand columns info but it's still not quite clear.

We would like to spend a few days in the area as hoping it will be more relaxing than Kata and want to visit the national parks etc. However we have teenagers and don't want it too quiet, which area and resort would be best so the kids can still wander around shops and we're close to restaurants.

Thanks for your time.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,841 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area for me to stay

What time of year are you planning on visiting? That will determine which area is likely to be less busy and also if it is Wet Season (May to August) your budget will depend what range of accommodation as rates in Wet Season are typically half of those in the Dry Season.

Genenerally though for accommodation near to restaurants, bars and shops look at accommodation in Bang La On (Nang Thong Beach) or Bang Niang which is 10 minutes up the road by taxi.

See more information at http://www.khaolaklovers.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area for me to stay

Thank you Arandora

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area for me to stay

Sorry Arandora I accidently sent that without meaning to. We will be going in early May 2012, and our budget would be up to $150 AU night. We do like a bit of comfort and also air con on our holiday and would like to be on or very close to beach. Thank you I now have an idea of the most active area to stay and if you can suggest a hotel that would also be great .

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,841 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best area for me to stay

You mention you have teenagers. How many rooms will you be looking for and is the $150 per night for all your party's accommodation?

Rylstone, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area for me to stay

Hi there. We are currently staying in the "holiday house" at Ayara villas. It has two bedrooms and two bathrooms which is perfect for us, travelling with 2 kids. It's only a short walk up a quiet and well lit street to Bang Niang main street and is pretty much right on the beach. There's also two really nice pools. It's not luxurious, but has air con and the staff are fantastic. The price is well within you budget, too. It's been great for us, so might be worth a closer look for you. Hope that helps!

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best area for me to stay

Thank you so much for your time Roses273 and Arandora

Yes we would need 2 rooms and I would allow $150 for each room, so $300 a night would be ok.

Thank you Roses I will check out Ayara villas right now and I hope you the rest of your holiday is lovely.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,841 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best area for me to stay

$150 a night per night per room is about 4500 baht per night per room should get you a very good choice of some very good accommodation. Have a serch on Booking.com (or your favourite other booking site or sites) and do a search on Khao Lak hotels. At the moment it should still be showing Low Season rates so will give you an idea of what your budget will get you next May. Whatever accommodation takes your fancy then just come back here for views.

However, look at the Ramada or La Flora or Chong Fah Resorts (all beachfront) or the FX Resort (one road back) in Bang Niang; Nang Thong Bay Resorts 1 & 2 (book direct at http://www.nangthong.com/) or the Baan Khao Lak or Laguna (beachfront bungalows) on Nang Thong Beach; the Khao Lak Resort or Paradise (if rates low enough ) or Wanaburee on Sunset Beach; or if you are prepared to travel in to town for dinner, the great value Orchid Beach Resort on Khuk Khak Beach; or the Merlin (pool access rooms in particular) but a bit out of town; for starters.

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best area for me to stay

Thank you again Arandora

I'm on to it now and I'll get back to you with what I find. You have been very helpful.

9. Re: best area for me to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 03:18