We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jaipur
Level Contributor
733 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Hi all,

I want to go for a day out on one of the trips to islands. I think the options I have is Surins, Similans, and Koh Tachai.

I am not really a serious snorkell person, nor a diving person, we just want to go out and enjoy a day trip and do some little snorkelling ..

We would be staying in JW Marriott.

Few questions I had.

- I think pier from which Surin trips start is about an hr away from khao lak, and Similans are about 30 min away. Is that correct ? How far is the pier for Koh Tachai ?

- Which islands will you suggest for me, given preferences that I mention, I do not want to travel a lot to reach islands, I am looking for good scenery, beautiful beach etc.

Please give your suggestions.

Regards

Puneet

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Hi Puneet,

Decisions, decisions!

First, your assessment of transfer time to respective piers is about right. It's perhaps nearer to 75 minutes to Kuraburi lier for the Surins. Speedboat time to the island is about 75 minutes each way. Tab Lamu is about 30 minutes, perhaps less depending on whether you pick up others on the way. It is the same pier for the Similans and Surins and speedboat trip also about 75 minutes to each.

For pure snorkelling, I think the Surins has it over the other two followed by the Similans with Koh Tachai I think having a great balance between snorkelling, including better options from thr fabulous white powder beach to the inshore reefs in the crytal clear, unbelievably blue ocean. You can also have a wander or be taken by a guide from the boat into the trees bordering the beach in search of the huge chicken crabs that make their nest in the hollows at the foot of trees or gaze upwards at the fruit bats.

This latter attraction, as well as the sheer beauty of the beach anf ocean here are the reason Koh Tachai has been named the Maldives of Thailand.

See my trip report at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Correct link to photos at …google.com/110146224512211308866/…

Jaipur
Level Contributor
733 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Hi Arandora,

"Tab Lamu is about 30 minutes, perhaps less depending on whether you pick up others on the way. It is the same pier for the Similans and Surins and speedboat trip also about 75 minutes to each."

Did you mean Tachai instead of Surins here ?

Also, which tour operator will you suggest ?

Regards

Puneet

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Sorry Yes, Tab Lamu same pier for Similans land and Koh Tachai.

For Koh Tachai, Kurabiri Greenview and Ruk Talay. We used Sea Star but not sure whether they are doing it any more. They are all respected companies and only 4 or 4 boats a day allowed into Tachai so much quieter than Similans.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
733 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

Great, thanks.

If others have any suggestions, please chip in. Thanks!

5. Re: Advice on day trip to islands - which one to choose ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:18