We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak First timers.

Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak First timers.

Hi all. First time to Khao Lak. What is best way to transfer from Phuket Airport for 2 people and luggage? Any idea of cost?

What will the weather be like in March, hopefully not rain. Looking for a resort on the beach, some place where we can walk to beach-side bars and restaurants. And a place that has a nice swimable beach. Thanks all in advance.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Best (and cheapest) option fot transfer from the airpotrt is Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak. He charges 1000 baht each way for 2. Airport taxi is 1500 baht. Contact him on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Weather in March is normally dry, hot and sunny with a possibly of some thunderstorms in tghe afternoon towards the ens as the Wet Seasom (May to October) approaches.

An idea of your budget for accommodation will help with suggesting accommodation (hotel type or bungalow) and the type of facilities ypu would like as beach front accommodation usually comes at a premium.

Have a look at this fairly new resort that may appeal to you http://lahown.com/ or the Nang Thong Bay Resort at http://www.nangthong.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Thanks Arandora.

We have a Budget of Bht7000 per night and would prefer Beach front Bungalow type accommodation. Hopefully there is something suitable on one of the nicer beaches where we can swim in the ocean.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Arandora, where are these two properties located in relation to the centre of Khao Lak please.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

John Veevers...

7000 baht should get you either of the resorts I linked to in my reply as well as others. Full listing of accommodation at www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm Have a look through this and more info at http://www.khaolaklovers.com/ and then come back if any catch your eye.

The La-Own is on the northern end of Nang Thong beach with plenty of beach restaurants nearby and just a short walk across from Bang Niang Beach where there are even more. It is probably a 20 minute walk inland then south to Bang la On which is the main township of Khao Lak. See this previous recent topic tripadvisor.co.uk/…36102810

The Nang Thong Bay Resort (beach bungalows highly recommended) and its sister resort the Nang Thong Beach Resort (about 200 metres past it) are on Nang Thong Beach which is just down the road from the centre of Bang La On.

Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Thanks Arandora. I found Nang Thong Resort but appears there is also Nang Thong 2 (newer one). I contacted Nang Thong (1) ok, but email link to Nang Thong (2) is returned invalid so any idea how/ where I can contact Nang Thong (2) for booking enquiry as none of the Internet Booking sites handle Nang Thong (1 or 2). Confusing isn it haha. John

I was hoping somewhere closer driving from Phuket Airport but have no idea yet exactly where these places are. But many thanks, I will look at the maps you sent and will work it out.......

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Nang Thong BAY Resort is NTBR1, Nang Thong BEACH Resort is NTBR2 which is the later one. The website for NTBR2 is at http://www.nangthong2.com/

Visitors to NTBR1 generally prefer it to NTBR2 albeit the accommodation and facilities and location are virtually the same. The NTBR1 has an excellent beachfront restaurant, which you can use if you are at NTBR2 anyway.

The nearest Khao Lak Beach is, surprise, surprise, Khao Lak (South) Beach which is 10 minutes by taxi over the mountain from Bang la On. However, the accommodation are hotel type except for the Baan Sunetra (but you need to be a dog lover as the owners run a dog sanctuary and there are always strays about). However, you are still about 50 minutes from Phuket airport. If you want to be nearer than that there are no beach bungalow resorts once you leave the island until you reach Khao Lak.

Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Thanks arandora, 50 minutes from Phuket is fine. We just didnt want to be say 2 hours or more travelling by car. So it seems that most of the area of "Khao Lak" is accessable by car transfer within 90 minutes from Phuket airport.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Unless you stay on Koh Kho Khao, a lovely small island with just a handful of resorts and restaurants, 20km and 10 minute ferry crossing north of Khao Lak the furthest resort is the Haadson on Bang Niang Beach which would be about 90 minutes.

South to North from Phuket Airport:

Khao Lak Beach = 50 Mins

Nang Thong Beach = 60 mins

Bang Niang Beach = 65 mins

Khuk Khak Beach = 70 mins

Pakarang Beach = 80 mins

Pak Weeb Beach = 80 mins

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

John and Buick...!!....Why not download Google earth if you haven't already that is and get a birds eye view of exactly where NTBR's are...??...

Location is excellent,close to massage,supermarket,shops and restaurants and the beach bungalows are 1500 baht in low season,so well within your budget....Breakfast not included...

Swimming at Nang Thong Beach is fairly safe tho' please be aware that there are cross swells at the light house rocks during medium tides on a medium swell....

The beach in front of Nang Thong Resort 1 is more favourable for swimming in my opinion...

Tho' surf season does not really commence until April so March should be ok,tho' no guarantees that there won't be any surf and possibly rips....

Be careful as no Khao Lak beaches have no lifeguards....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak First timers.

Thankyou both. Valuable information and advice. Sounds like the place for me ( beach bungalow ) Not bad value either for about A$100 / night ( 3000B high season )