We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

This was my 4th trip to Thailand... travelling with a girlfriend who had never been before... having the ultimate girls week and a half away... the plan.. to show her the sights... indulge in massages... cocktails.. shopping and moments of total relaxation.....

We had a night stop over in Bangkok.. headed to Phuket for 4 nights to shop and show her the sights and then headed to Khao Lak for 5 nights of "living the dream".... and that exactly what we did!

Now this was my first trip to Khao Lak other than I had previously been on a trip to the Similians so had driven to the pier... so it was all very new to me....a bit of research and we were off...

We stayed at Chong Fah... and I could rave on about this place for hours! I feel in love with a resort! I have written a review.. but in short.. I could not find anything that didnt make me go ahhhhhhh!

The staff are awesome.. many spoke to us by name.. ( which seeing me and my travelling partener had very similar names was funny at times!) breakfast was good... the rooms gorgeous.. beds .. what can I say .. they rate as THE most comfortable I have stayed in on all my trips and different hotels to Thailand and maybe anywhere... down blankets.. pillow menu.. down filled mattress overlays... like sleeping in a cloud!... sunset views timed perfectly with happy hour everynight that were postcard perfect... and plenty of great eating places close by!!

We drove down to Khao Lak using Bosses services and I couldnt fault... driver was at our hotel in Phuket exactly on time.. new and very comfortable SUV ... stopped on the mainland side of the bridge as you come over from Phuket for a nice lunch at the seafood place on the beach... really nice.. not expensive and nice food....

What did we do... well some might say not a lot.. but as I said we really wanted to relax...

We hired a driver for the afternoon and went on a little explore... waterfalls.. white beach... stunning... so beautiful... had lunch hear on the beach .. food was great with a perfect view... drove around khao lak getting our bearings on where everything was ...

Stoppped at the Police boat memorial... really puts it into perspective the devastation that hit the area.. stopped at the museum on the main road...

We went to the markets next to 7/11... from what I remember is open weds and saturdays.... a lot more spacious than the phuket markets... and a lot of the same stuff... not as demanding shop keepers.. ( well most of them lol ) I actually found shopping here a lot more pleasurable than in Phuket... not as much variety .. but still something for everyone... apart from DVD's.. the only guy that had some.. well they were all in Thai :)

We visited the Navy Base turtle consevetory .. and gee they do some awesome work... the rate of survival of these green sea turtles is really increased by the work they do... and they are so cute the baby ones!! Finding nemo eat your heart out!.... We went down here with staff from Chong Fah... the hotel organise a day down once a week for free...

Eating and drinking.... oh boy did we!

I must say I ate at the resort a few times which is not something I normally tend to do! The prices were good... great lunch specials... and the food delicious....

We also ate at "The Beach" which was a couple of doors down... again beachfront.. well prices.. nicely presented and yum! Staff were really friendly too....

"Green Pepper on the Beach" - right next door the Chong Fah and from what I can tell recently opened.... we loved this place!

Food was delicious... great set up... dinner tables.. nice bar area... upstairs pool table with a view for a game and a drink.... deck chairs facing the beach with sand underfoot.. and some big comfortable couches set up.... I can see this place being really popular... we had a young guy playing acoustic music.. very enjoyable evening.. a little more expensive than some places.. but by no means in the expensive catagory....

Number 9 & Ozone massage.... well we thought this was our find of the trip... we were in Bang La On to have a look around the main road.. do some last minute gift buying.. and stock up on supplies from 7/11.. debating about lunch .. we thought we would just go back to the resort.. eat and swim... walked a couple of doors up from the 7/11 to talk to a taxi driver about a ride.. and stopped to read the menu out the front of number 9.. a quick discussion.. and meh we will have lunch here we decide.. and a great decision... I wish I could remember his name.. but the owner/ cook here is awesome.. decor.. gorgeous.. big heavy carved wooden furniture... cold face washers given straight away.,.. ordered some drinks and then some food... it was cheap... and sooooo good.. and he offered to cook us anything we wanted even if it wasnt on the menu... when we did order he asked us would we like it hot, mild.. with this or that.. awesome... while eating and drinking we read the massage leaflet.. asked him if it was next door .. he said no .. out the back... well we had to investigate.. so after lunch .. he minded our shopping and out the back we went.. up the garden path to a little door... hmmm what have we got ourselves into was the look on our face.. but once it opened our mouths dropped .. it was gorgeous! the same solid carved wooden furniture.. for tables, beds and chairs... a real little paradise! oh and great massages.... would highly recommend.....

We were in KL late oct... so high season had not hit.. but my advise .. dont let this be a turn off.. we had a ball.... I was hesitant at first... but Khao Lak you have won over a little bit of my heart.... we got in the car to drive to the airport.. and as we drove out and got out last glimpse over the hill to the ocean .. I found myself saying... I will be back....

Cheers

Chelle

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

HI Chelle

Great JBR, sounds like you had a great time, I loved reading it and could feel the love for Khao Lak that you found on your first time there, reminds me of last year for our first time :-)

I knew you would love Khao Lak, I am so glad that you went there in the end and got a chance to see just how special it is....a true paradise

this was our 2nd time this year and love it even more now

the people, beaches, relaxed atmosphere and just about everthing about it has a certain magic that stays with you.....until you return....which you will :-)

still so much more for you to see and do yet, Khao Sok and Cheiow Laan lakes, raft houses, and caves etc are just awesome

Chong Fah Resort sounds perfect, and what a beautiful beach there too (as they all are) and good area too

would love to find the little massage shop out the back of the restaurant, sounds perfect :-) next time haha

thanks for sharing Chelle

cheers

Mossy :-)

PS: the new Gracelands should be finished for next year....how about that one LOL :-))) (I know how you love that resort in Patong haha)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,709 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Thanks so much for sharing, it is really making me so look forward to our trip in January!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Thanks for the report, you've really made me want to visit Khao Lak, we might split our time there with Phuket next May.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

I will not call perfect the beach at the Chong Fah Resort ....

Maybe in Koh Samui i've got used to have beaches without huge walls, just sands not solid wet because at high tide there is simply no beach.....

The beach will get better going right .....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,737 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Hi Chelle,

Another Khao Lak Lover! Great report which I hope will encourage more visitors to come to Khao Lak for the first time or return time and time again. I'm sure you and others will agree that Khao Lak is most enjoyable for its own particular qualities.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

I really enjoyed your report Chelle, it sounds as though you had a wonderful time. I am so looking forward to our first trip there in just over 2 1/2 weeks time :-)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Fantastic report Chelle, really enjoyed reading it.

Cathy

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
410 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Wonderful report -thanks. Yes, we too were won over with our 1st trip to Khao Lak this April. It is quite a special place for sure. Really enjoyed reading about your trip. Walked past Chong Fah many times and wondered about it for future accommodation. Makes me want to book another trip very soon......

Thanks

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

wonderful report chelle. Glad to see another KL convert!

Where can we find No9 and Ozone massage??

London
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Khao Lak ... I will be back... :)

Hi,

We are looking to go to Thailand for a week at the end of the month. This will be our first visit to Thailand.Can't decide on whether to stay in Phuket (area south of Patong, Travel agent recommended Evason hotel) or in Khao Lak.

Were in Bali previously where we stayed in Kuta which was superbusy...would like something a lot quieter this time. Ideally would like to visit Similan, Phi Phi and Phangnga Bay as day trips.

Please help! :-)

Thanks, Ang