We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

My family (husband, 18 yo and 13 yo) and I have just returned from 8 nights in Khao Lak staying at the Ramada (see separate review). Wow! Khao Lak is a lovely place. So different to Patong where we stayed a couple of years ago. No jet skis. No tuk-tuk mafia. No aggressive hawkers.

We were in Bangkok for 4 nights before arriving in Khao Lak so really enjoyed the slower pace. We did do a couple of day trips. I had booked a driver with Boss to take us to Khao Sok national park where we did a 1 hour bamboo raft trip on the river then it was onto Cheow Lan lake. Here we took a longtail boat to a small village for lunch and a swim, then we were taken for a further look around the lake on the way back.. Very long day (8.30 am pickup and back at the hotel at 7 pm) but very enjoyable.

The other day trip was to Similian Islands with Khao Lak Land Discovery. We had perfect conditions and were very well looked after. There were only 15 of us on the boat so were not crammed in. The other passengers and tour guide were Germans but the guide repeated all the info in English to us. The family (not me) got to snorkel in 3 locations and saw plenty of fish, a few turtles and even a shark at the last spot. Plenty to eat and drink all day.

The rest of the days were spent by the pool or at the beach enjoying the sun.(Only rained one afternoon for a couple of hours.) On our last day we caught a taxi to the mini golf course but it was closed for the day as they were pruning all the trees.

My daughter got her hair braided on about the 3rd day at a massage place almost opposite the Pinocchio restaurant but some had already fallen out by the time we left for home. One day we went to Orchide massage just near Chef Jimme and my daughter had a manicure with colour, husband got a foot massage and I had a facial all for 1100 baht.

But my favourite was Chong Fah massage on the beach where my husband and I had a 1 hour Thai massage for 300 baht each. Lying in those huts, cool breeze, sound of the waves rolling in - heaven. After the massage we went to 'Take a seat' cafe for a coffee, banana shake and a lovely piece of mango cheesecake. Thanks for the recommendation Arandora otherwise I would not have known it was there and the lady who served us was very nice.

We only ate at the hotel once and the restaurants we tried were Chong Fah, Sawasdee, Tonsons, Chef Jimme, Mali seafood and Aroy. All of the restaurants were really good except for Sawasdee which was the most expensive meal we had. The beach restuarants Tonsons and Aroy were probably our favourites - feet in the sand, sound of the waves, entree and 4 mains and 2 rounds of drinks for just over A$20. How good is that? Unfortunately did not get to try Hill Tribes or any of the bars for happy hour but there is always next time but we did find the pancake stalls- mmm chocolate and banana.

We went to the local markets a couple of times but the saturday ones were best but do not leave it too late as they start to close up at 6 pm.It was interesting walking around the food section. Also one morning on our daily walk we went and saw the Police Boat. Amazing when you think this boat was moored 1 km out to sea. We got our laundry done through the tailor shop nearest the Ramada. 50 baht per kilo wash only.

As you can guess by this very long JBR we had agreat time. Thanks to all the people who contribute to this forum especially Arandora as it made planning our trip so much easier. But one last question - how do all those tailor shops stay in business?????

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Lovely read. Takes me back. Our family were in Khao Lak June 2010. I'm glad you had a lovely time. And yes it is very different to patong.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,545 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

What great report which, I think, sums up the appeal that Khao Lak has, certainly to my wife and myself and the many friends we have made over the years and who return like us every year,

As for tailor shops, definitely too many. Many are just shop fronts for major chains staffed by salespersons not tailors and on very low incomes. Generally speaking though they are not as intrusive as in, say, Patong and Khao Lak is small enough that after a couple of "No, thanks, not interested!" they remember you and look for new victims, sorry, customers!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Thanks for your report, we also love Khao Lak it's quiet but not that quiet to be boring.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

I really enjoyed your report, it brought back memories of our recent trip. We stayed next door at the La Flora so I could relate to all the restaurants (and tailors, lol) that you mentioned. We loved sitting with our feet in the sand at Tonson's too, we couldn't believe how cheap it was but the food was very tasty. We really loved our first visit to Kha Lak like you did.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Really enjoyed reading your stay in Khoa Lak, picked up a few tips about laundry, where to go fo a coffee and milkshake and Chong Fah massage.

We will be staying at Khoa Lak for 3 weeks from April, and our last 2 weeks will be at the Ramada, in a beach front villa. We have never stayed this end of Khoa Lak so we are trying to get as much info as well.

We love the pace of Khoa lak its what you make it to be, fast or slow and easy.

We also read your review on the Ramada, it was a great read also. Once you go the Khoa Lak you will keep on going back, glad you loved this little piece of paradise :)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Thanks for a lovely read and glad that you loved Khao Lak as much as we all do, but who wouldn't? it's paradise

sounds like you had a great time and we also done the tour to Khao Sok and lakes through Boss.. is was a fantastic day.....the highlight of our holiday loved it :-)

thanks again for your great JBR

cheers

mossy :-)

Newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

Thanks for all the lovely comments. The Khao Lak area certainly has quite a few fans. Big enough to have everything you could want but nowhere near the madness and chaos of other areas. One thing I did like that I did not mention in the JBR was the big signs indicating how much you paid for taxis. And the few taxi drivers we encountered were all very pleasant.

Lushdaz I am very envious of you staying in the beachfront villas at the Ramada. I was dying to have a peek inside one but they were always occupied.

8. Re: JBR 8th - 16th January, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:35
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak