We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the Sea August

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in the Sea August

Hi all,

Wondering if you can clarify the sea conditions in Khao Lak in August. Please

We where in Cape Panwa last August and the sea was fine to swim in for my 7 year old. We also used the beaches in Karon and Kate and swam only in the areas safe - flags/ life guards. Is the sea similar in Khao Lak or should we look at somewhere else? My 7 year old loves the sea and little waves!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Hi Mana....First of all,the west coast of Khao Lak is the same as west coast of Phuket ala Kata and Karon....

Surf season @ both places is between May and October....

There are no flagged areas on the Khao Lak beaches and to my memory,there are no lifeguards.....

Absolute caution must be taken at all times,especially around the river mouths of Bang Niang,Khuk Khak and Pakarang.....Strong currents during low tide runout...

However,there are also unseen rips at other beaches.....Strange cross currents and a rip appears on the southern side of the lighthouse at Nang Thong Beach.....

The safest beaches we found were Pak Weeb and/or the beaches on this side of Khao Lak(north of Pakarang)as this area is more sheltered from swells...

This is obvious because no surfers surf this area...

Might I suggest that you enroll the 7 year old into a surf lesson..??..Pakarang surf will accomodate him in this regard and he will be able to learn about the ocean and harness the ocean beneath his feet...I am sure he will love it...!!....Check Pakarangsurf.com

This might sound funny to a lot of people,however a safe place to ocean swim is in the lagoon @ Cape Pakarang or on the northern side of the cape where the waves are very small,the water is very shallow and there are no rips...However,it is quite a long walk(500 meters)and can get quite hot without an umbrella....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Sorry....What an idiot I am....SUE...!!...I called you Mana...Derrr..??...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Forgot to mention that if you're going to Cape Pakarang that you will need to wear some form of rubber footwear to protect the soles of your feet whilst walking over the broken coral....Very unpleasant walking over coral in bare feet...!!

Perth
Level Contributor
532 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Sue,

I would support the cautious approach suggested by cocotang. We regularly visit Khao lak in August and the ocean conditions can change quickly and as storms approach can get rough.

Having said that, if you are a confident swimmer and watch children closely, there are plenty of opportunities to swim and enjoy the beach in August.

tanmar

Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Thank you all for your advise. I will look into the surfing lesson. Great idea!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

There is a roped off swimming area at Le Meridien on beautiful Pak Weeb Beach that is supervised. This is a sheltered bay but still needs caution in August. Similarly the area in front of the J W Marriott on Also beautiful Khuk Khak Beach is dsupervised but the ocean here is far rougher even in the Dry Season.

Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

Thank you for your advise Arandora, think I will look for somewhere else.

8. Re: Swimming in the Sea August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:18