We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

gold coast
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

HI Guys, Just trying to organise a day trip to Khao Lak for the day... What are the MUST DO / SEE things ? Should we get a driver for the day? Hire a car ourselves? Catch a bus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou Kell :)

Perth
Level Contributor
552 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Hi Kell,

All three of your travel options are possible, but we would suggest you hire a driver for the day. This will give you best value for money, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area and trying to fit as much into the day as possible.

You could arrange a driver from Patong end or Khao lak end, depending on how much each is going to charge you. If rates are similar, it may be better to get a driver from Khao lak end as they will know the attractions better. Try Boss at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com, for a price. Regular recommended on this forum.

As for Must Do etc, depends on how big a day you want. You cold stop at the Marine Turtle sanctuary or the Thai Naval Base and see the turtles on the way up, visit the naval boat, displaced by the tsunami,have lunch at one of the many beach side restaurants. Sure others will add to the list.

tanmar

Perth
Level Contributor
552 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Forgot to add that you may like to check the FAQ's at the right side of the forum. Lots of good suggestions of things to do.

After reading these and visiting Khao Lak for yourself, you may become a Khao Lak convert like many of us.

Enjoy your visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

I would do your holiday the other way around. Stay in Khao Lak and day trip it to Patong

;-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

I agree with Nettie! Khao Lak is a much nicer place to stay IMO. It depends on what you really want from a holiday though.

Have a great trip :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Totally agree with Tanmar and Nettie...!!...One day in Khao Lak will surely whet your appetite....

The thought of visiting KL in the morning and having to leave in the afternoon would bring tears to my eyes....

Depending on which day you will visit Khao Lak...Bang Niang markets is worth at least a looksee...

Lunch @ a beach restaurant @ Bang Sak is divine...Dining in a little bamboo shelter on the edge of the beach while your Thai lunch is delivered by a waiter running across the road from the restaurant to you is definitely different and quite a novelty...This restaurant is close to Haadson Resort....Excellent afternoon...!!...

Lunch is served on Pak Weeb beach too but I think they will be closed...However,this beach is definitely worth a gander....

Trang, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Can stay in khao lak for few days ..it is very nice...try to have lunch at white sand beach

Sydney, New South...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

I have just booked a holiday @ new resort The Sands Khao Lak. I really want to go shopping in Patong, what would you recommend to do? are there drivers you can hire or day tours?

Another question, we are looking to go in August but have read many things shut and the beaches aren't great. Can anyone advise what it is like?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,517 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis wen you arrive on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com ( and for your transfer from the airport if you haven't arranged that already ) He does a shopping trip to Phuket at very reasonable rates.

Most beach restaurants shut because of the condition of the ocean but that doesn't mean the beaches themselves aren't great. They are - but mostly empty!!! Yes some restaurants do close but many more are staying open because new resorts like the Sands are attracting more visitors in the Low Season which is great for visitors and Khao Lak. From the Sands you are in easy walking distance of the highway down in Khao Lak centre where you will plenty of restaurants, bars and shops open along the way.

Sydney, New South...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Thanks for your reply Arandora!!

I have not previously travelled to Thailand and am extremely excited!

Would you recommend spending a night in Patong for shopping or is Khao Lak similiar? We are staying in Khao Lak for 8 nights and still trying to work out if it is worth staying in Patong for a night before leaving.

I would like to know how far the Tiger Temple/Island is from Khao Lak if anyone knows as I can't find any information on google regarding this.

Thanks!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,517 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak - Day trip from Patong

Khao Lak is as different to Patong as chalk is to cheese. Shopping in Khao Lak is very much just souvenir and market type stuff. There are no shopping malls, no designer shops, only 1 McDonald's. Whether it is worth spending a night in Patong depends what you want as well as shopping. It is a full on resort, particularly by night, and one you either love or hate. We love Khao Lak!.

The Tiger Temple (not an island!) is located near Kanchanaburi and is about 200km, just over 3 hours, north west of Bangkok, which is the usual starting point for tours to there. From Khao Lak you would need to fly from Phuket to Bangkok and organise a tour (full or half day from there. I don't imagine many people do this using Khao Lak as their base.

It is a very controversial destination as you will see from this link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k332… and these reviews tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297924-d9…

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak