We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Surf

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Surf

Just to prove there is surfing in Khao Lak - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKMFkzA7oY

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Great information as usual Cliff.

This topic added as a reference in the Traveller Article included in the FAQ on the right at tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c178716/Kha…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Khao Lak Surf

I was recommended to stay @ NTBR by Matt,an expat online friend.....I didn't listen to him and stayed @ Palm Galleria but then realised it was so quiet there and moved to NTBR.....

NTBR is the best choice in my opinion only because there is consistent beach surfing waves in front of the resort.....

Local knowledge tells that when Nang Thong Beach waves are up maybe 3-4 feet,then it's time to go to Cape Pakarang.....Because it will be pumping.....

Wind usually constantly blows from the north west,however early mornings and the wind is either nil or south east...Perfect offshore conditions for Taxi's....

Best tip : Only go to Cape Pakarang when the wind is nil or light north west...About 5-10 K's per hour....

Best bet...Rent a car to get to the best surf spots on Paka's.....

Take bottled water with you to Cape Pakarang as there are no shops out there and you must hydrate after a long surf....And don't forget sunscreen and rashy,the Thai sun is hot as......

And please - no apologies for jumping onto an old post....Would love to keep this, Arandora's post alive.....!!....Love sharing the Khao Lak surfing experience....!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Correction : West coast wind usually blows from the - south/west....

And best wind for Taxi's reef is nil or north/east.....

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Really have no idea why I even read this thread, but fantastic information Coco, almost made me wish I surfed:)

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Thanks Cathy...!!....You know you could always turn your wishes into reality....!!

And I cannot think of a better place than in wonderful Khao Lak....!!....

Surfing for 40 years and I still get a buzz...!!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Hahaha no I am a bit of a chicken around deep sea water, snorkeling is about my max, that sounds really stupid as I love rowing and was still competing in Masters events up until a few years ago:)

Told my sister we are both hiring body boards at Kata Noi next trip, so theres a start hahaha.

Cathy

Edited: 18 February 2013, 07:10
Perth
Level Contributor
546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Cocotang,

You have inspired me, I'm going to hire a board this August and get into the surf.

Do you think Ching will drop one off at NTBR1?

Look out Lee, I'm gunna be droppin in on your waves (not the best surf etiquette I know)!!

Living 1 hour from Margaret River in W.A, I should be a natural.

First you convienced me of the benefit of getting my motor bike licence, now surfing. What next, "yoga"?

Your gunna kill me.

tanmar

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Cocotang is teetotal you know! :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Oh Cathy...You make me smile....!!...Hiring boogie boards @ Kata is a start and I know you will enjoy the experience and hopefully will progress to an actual real stand up board when...I hear you say..."These boogie boards just aren't quick enough..!!"....

Remember ; You will get dumped,however for every dump you will become closer to a real surfie chick screaming along the waves of the world.....Yay..!

Tanmar.....You have me smiling too....!!....Dropping in on Lee..??...I'm sure he won't object because I'll tell you why.....I don't think you will have to rent a board off Ching unless you're considering surfing @ Pakarang Beach or reef.....Altho',I can't see you on the reef for a while but you never know,as you said you could be a natural.....

By the way....Surf speak : Natural means body facing a right hand wave left foot forward ....Goofy means body facing a left hand wave,right foot forward....

Right hand wave breaks to the right when you're facing it and Left is the opposite....

Anyways,Lee has 7 surfboards - last count - last year.....He will rent you a board because he surfs at Nang Thong everyday...Never miss...!!....

Two things you can do....Go for a walk down the beach,look for a long haired,blond headed,stompy wompy real gone surfer boy - That's Lee or....You could go to Khao Lak Surf Club on Facebook...Make friends with Lee and ask him about his rental boards.....He will hook you up with a suitable board,most likely a long board for bouyancy and ease of balance and paddling......What I highly suggest is that you have surf lessons...Altho' you could learn on your own,however it will take longer without an expert telling you the in's and out's of the easiest way to learn to surf.....

Definitely would love to share a surf and yoga with you guys,you too Mr A. & Mrs B...!!

And yes....I do drink tea....!!....lol....

I'm going to try and convince Anny to go back to Khao Lak this August.....

Surfing to most people seems quite difficult whilst learning,however persistence pays off and the buzz is never ending.....

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Hahaha will let you know how we go, should be funny :)

Cathy

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak