We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques vs cash

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
426 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques vs cash

Arriving in Khao Lak in the next few weeks can anyone tell me if it is easy enough to exchange travellers cheques or is it better to bring cash. We are staying in Bang Niang are there money changing outlets ready available as I understand you get a better exchange rate if we change our monies in Khao Lak than at home. Thanks. (Home being UK)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,790 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

You get roughly same rate of exchange for cash as TCs. You pay 33 baht to cash each TC but they are safer and you get £ for £ if you cash any unused ones when you get back home. There are a couple of exchange booths for cash in Bang Niang but there are branches of all the main Thai banks in Bang La On where it is better to change cash or TCs.

There is a good FAQ on the right about Currency Options.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

Cash is always easier.

JUst bring an ATM card and withdraw the MAX - put most of it in a safe at the hotel and spend whatever each day.,.

TC can be handy but can alsobe a bit of a pain in the bum...

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

ATM withdrawals cost 150 baht each time, on top of any charges made by your own bank for overseas transactions, forex, etc.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

Hi

We always bring cash, traveller cheques and card.

We found travels cheques are as convenient as cash. With traveller cheques you will minimized fee ( 33 bath per cheque for cnakgning as opposed to 150baht per withdraw from ATM plus your bank fees and charges) and safe as if got stollen or lost can be replaced but you can't do with cash.

As Arandora says read FAQ regarding currency sections.

Just one note though : Thomas cook traveller cheques does not accepted so only bring American Express ( speaking from my own exprince).

Good luck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

I bring as much cash as I feel comfortable with and card for back up.

london
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

have taken t cheques past 2 years when in karon beach found it very easy to exchange,so will be taking them this year to khao lak,plus some baht to use until we find banks,exchange kiosks

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

Cheques way to go - very easy to exchange and you have security to boot! :)

8. Re: Travellers cheques vs cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak