We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards

Hi are credit cards readily accepted in restaurants and shops in Khoa Lak. Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,732 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards

Generally it is a cash economy with few if any local restaurants and shops accepting credit or debit cards. Sone of the bigger tour agents may accept credit cards for booking tours but the smaller ones probably offering better prices won't have the facility.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards

In 18 days I used my Visa card 4 times!....

1. Baggage fees for NOK Air

2. A water bag for my camera at a dive shop

3. Burger King at Phuket airport

4. A tailored suit

Of course I paid for my hotel with a card as well, but in 18 days..... 4 charges! It is very cash oriented for sure, so plan accordingly! And even if you do find a place that says they take cards you have 2 things to contend with

1. You go to check out and they can't figure out how to run the card and thy come back and ask for cash anyways( so have cash handy no matter what!)

2. They add 3-5% fee to use the card

Cash is king in Thailand!

3. Re: Credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:20