We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it always this hot ??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Is it always this hot ??

Wow, this is my first visit to Thailand and i have to admit the heat in KL at the moment seems excessive.

I have visited other similar type countries but the weather is fantastically hot at the moment.

Is this normal for January or are we having a heatwave?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it always this hot ??

In our experience over the past 7 years this has been the hottest January. The cooling breezes at the beach have been very welcome but even they have been absent most of the last few days. This is the hottest "feel like factor" we can remember since April 2010 when we were glad to leave Khao Lak's heat amd lack of air movement only to be stranded in Kuala umpur's heat and humidity for 10 days bcause of the Ash Cloud. However, the relatively low humidity now is typical of January. Our local friends agree with this too!

Enjoy it while you can and remember what it's like at home! :-)

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it always this hot ??

Come back in April if you want to feel the real heat.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it always this hot ??

Perhaps with the changing seasons April will be cooler! Who knows these days.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it always this hot ??

Make the most of it while you can, we're freezing here in Europe at the moment.

Australia
Level Contributor
300 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it always this hot ??

I can cope with the heat coming from Australia, but my feet have packed it in after two days of walking. Going to stay off them tomorrow and swim instead of walk in the morning and get a good foot massage

warwickshire
Level Contributor
400 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it always this hot ??

Talking of heat and feet. Does anyone have any good tips for feet that swell during flying and and in the heat. Mine end up looking like elephant feet and makes walking hard work!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it always this hot ??

It was 45.8 degrees C in Sydney 2 weeks ago...It felt like I was riding my motorcycle in a fan forced oven....However,the next day it was 23 degrees...

So unlike Khao Lak's consistent heat,Sydney varies from day to day.....

We do very little walking jetfuel as we rent a scooter to get around.....

We only walk around the local markets(actually we rode thru it a couple of times checking out stalls)....We even ride across the road to Takieng Restaurant for lunch munch.....

Even riding from shop to shop...shopping......Call us lazy buggers,our feet are fine....LOL...

However,walking is great exercise....!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it always this hot ??

shakespearest...

Here's a good link to causes of swollen ankles, fee etc.. and tops to help reduce swelling.

In my case it followed hip replacement surgery but contributory factors are being overweight in advancing old age. Mine swell after beach walks or is the Chang?! but revert to normal overnight.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it always this hot ??

you are correct, always HOT.

Anyways i'm getting used to the weather after living here for 28 years already :)

10. Re: Is it always this hot ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 08:20
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak