We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inclement weather

khao lak
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Topic
inclement weather

i would just like to point out to everyone here,at the moment.as you know the weather is quite bad,today i have been down to the beach, here in khao lak, and incredibly i saw people playing in the surf.i cannot stress enough how dangerous this is,at this time.there are rip currents down there and it is not safe to swim,small children can get pulled under even in shallow water,please,be extra careful.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,699 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inclement weather

Very wise advice from a very caring local. Please take heed!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inclement weather

You would think that adults would know better.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inclement weather

a little commonsense goes a long way.just wondering how bad is the weather ,we arrive next wednesday hope it clears by then

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,699 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inclement weather

It is not untypical of the end of the Dry Season.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inclement weather

It sounds like the waves are on the rise and it's only April....

How to spot a rip....Waves always break on a shallow bank whether it be sandy or rocky....This is normally the safe area to swim....However,some people notice calmer waters on either side of the wave breaking area....This area has deeper water and seems safe.....However,depending on the tides...If the tide is receding(going out),this is danger period and the thing to notice in the deeper water area is a ripple effect on the surface of the water....Sort of like a creek or stream flowing out.....This is a deadset sign that there is a rip or undertow in that area.....

I stated earlier about a safe area to swim,however sandbanks especially, do shift and so does the rips so be ever mindful of where you're swimming.....If you're caught in the rip - Do not fight it-it will win....Float out with the rip and eventually the rip will subside,look to your right or left for a safe swim in to the beach....

However,remember to alert the lifeguard where you're swimming.....Hope this helps....

Geez...I miss surfing khao Lak....!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inclement weather

A trivial note....Surfers use the rips to their advantage by floating in the rip to take them out to the peak or wave break conserving paddling energy.....So rips are useful for some people yet dangerous for others....!!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
277 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inclement weather

Lovely afternoon Wednesday, couldnt be better on Thursday.......will it continue ?

Rob

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inclement weather

Khao Lak envy Rob...!!....Of course it will continue until the storms come of course....

Wish I was there to share the wonderful experience....!!

9. Re: inclement weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:17