We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull, England...
10 posts
Save Topic
Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

I'm due to stay at the merlin khao lak in September for two weeks, but I'm growing more concerned after reading posts about resturants being closed and not much being open in the nearby centre. I booked it thinking that we would get more sun than rain, and that things wouldn't close (my mistake!) the only thing putting me off is losing a large deposit. .

Any thoughts on this either way? Best to go or pros going this time of year?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Hi Michaela....I always travel to Phuket and/or Khao Lak during low season....The first time to Khao Lak was in August and September over a 30 day period.....

Altho' there were quite a few restaurants closed during this period,there were also a lot that stayed open....So many that you would have a problem dining at all of them within 2 weeks unless you're a real guts....

By the way,quite a few of the good ones stayed open.....Hilltribes and Takieng are just 2....

I surfed almost everyday and the sun shone more than the clouds...Take plenty of sunscreen,there might be storms and rain but there is also lots of sunshine.....

Low season(September)is my favourite time to travel to Khao Lak....Low season = cheaper accomodation......Have fun....!!

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Its catch 22, if you don`t go why would they stay open and if they are not open why should you go. :-)

I`ve never starved in September, there are lots of places to eat that are still open. Very little open on the beach, maybe a few hotels restaurants. But he towns still has plenty of places to sit down and have a meal.

You can always venture to where the Thai people eat. With a bit of pointing and a few words you can have some great cheap food.

Eating wont be a let down, the weather is the problem. It might or might not rain but it will be hot. That can put a stop to some adventurous excursions.

We are flying into Phuket in September this year but havn`t decided if Khao lak is one of out destinations yet.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

If you've booked and would loose a large deposit I would still go, the other coast would have been a better option but you never know with the weather, as the others have said everything doesn't close and there will still be other tourists there.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,680 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

September and October are "usually" the two wettest months but as you know from the weather in the UK this Winter to date, nothing is usual these days. Last November was wetter with rain on 23 days out of 30 than the preceding September and October but usually sunny in the morning and clouding over with periods of rain in the afternoon.

There are now a number of restaurants near the Merlin and with the arrival of new resorts with great Low Season offers more restaurants in Bang La On, 10 minutes by taxi over the mountain, and Bang Niang, about 5 minutes further on, are staying open throughout the year. As Cocotang says there will be more than enough great restaurants open to last for two weeks.

The main market in Bang Niang is open three days a week, 2pm to 7pm, Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and is worth a trip followed by a meal at such great restaurants nearby as Hill Tribes, Dao Thong, Hill Tribes and others down the adjacent beach road.

See Bang Niang map at walagata.com/w/…Bang_Niang_Map_2013.jpg and Bang La On area at …walagata.com/w/arandora/KL_Maps/2137445.jpg

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Hi Michaela

we have been twice in Sept and booked again for Oct this year, both times in Sept we had lovey weather, 2010 was beautiful and only an occassional overnight shower in 10 days, 2011 we had a couple days rainy but then cleared up and was lovely, mostly it was ok in the daytime :) hope we are as lucky this time, but if not ....so be it!

we done a tour to Khao Sok and lakes in 2011 and it rained in the afternoon on the way home on the longtail boat, it didn't dampen our spirits though.....it made for a very funny time really and we still had an awesome day out!

as the others have said we found more than enough places to eat, Joe's seafood was one of our favourites just around the corner from Merlin, but there were still more open around the area, Bamboo and Thai restaurant were also good on the street outside of Merlin, plus a lot more choices in the town ...only 150bhat taxi to and from Merlin o/w, they do a shuttle bus into town but only one a day at mid day!

a lot or most beach restarants will close for low season but there are still plenty of good restaurants around..... more than enough as the others have stated too!

Khao Lak is beautiful, and we found more than enough to do, tours, plenty of good dining and small bars, no big night life like in Phuket, shopping but no big shopping malls, beaches are beautiful, but if you are looking for more in the way of nightlife etc then maybe it isnt for you??

As you are with Merlin you could maybe do a split stay with 1 week in Khao Lak (shame to miss going there altogether) and 1 in Phuket as they have 2 nice sister resorts in Phuket too, Merlin Beach Resort and Patong Merlin, that way you wouldn't lose your money!!

we have stayed at Merlin twice and booked again for Oct, cant wait we love it there :) also stayed at MBR which we love too and has always been our favourite until we found KL Merlin....its awesome :)

as for the weather it is one thing we cant book and have to take our chances at any time that we visit!

good luck with your decision, let us know how you go

cheers

mossy :)

Hull, England...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Thanks for the responses guys :)

I don't think we could split a week in phuket, we booked with Thomas cook and I don't see Any options to do so?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Not sure how it works through Thomas Cook? but in Australia if we book through a travel agent we can do split stays between 2 of the sister hotels for equal time and same room types! maybe ask your travel agent!

sure you will love Khao Lak Merlin anyway :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,680 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

It depends whether it is a Thomas Cook package from their brochure or booked as flight + hotel booked through Thomas Cook as agent.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

I've literally just booked today to go to Khao Lak in September and didn't realise it was the very wet month! The travel agent actually rang back to make sure we knew but it was too late then, we had already paid! I was feeling really disappointed but i've been having a look and i've seen loads of places saying that the rain won't spoil the day and that if it does rain, it might be a shower for 20-60 minutes in the afternoon then rain overnight but there's always a chance of a couple of days on the bounce but it will still be really hot. I'm trying to be positive about it now, you can never rely on the weather anywhere you go really so we'll just have to suck it up! We'll still be on holiday somewhere warm, beautiful and away from work. Win win!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,680 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering cancelling khao lak in September ? Thoughts??

Last year September and October were beautiful most of the time. You never know with weather anywhere these days. We've even had a decent Summer in UK haven't we?! :-)