We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent holiday package from the UK...

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Decent holiday package from the UK...

Just seen this offer on Secret Escapes - it looks pretty good to me.

http://www.secretescapes.com/luxury-thailand-triple-centre-holiday-bangkok-khao-sok-national-park-and-khao-lak/3598/sale?gce_tpo=1&utm_expid=38636964-51&email=jonfacey@btinternet.com&code=215cc6d570c46b20&utm_source=secretescapes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130528&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.mg.bt.mail.yahoo.com%2Fneo%2Flaunch%3F.rand%3D2101584550%26action%3DshowLetter%26umid%3D2_0_0_1_1964286_ADEm5C4AAUI%252FUZ6JKQzVGCNGcKc%26box%3DInbox

What do people think??

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

I think that's quite expensive seeing as its now low season and I paid £1500 per person for 16 nights, premium economy flights, internal flights, 5 star hotels with two rooms for Christmas (staying in bangkok and khao lak). It's much much cheaper to do it yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

I agree - it's always cheaper to do it yourself but if you couldn't be bothered and wanted to do it the easy way then it's an option.

I don't think I've ever done a holiday on a package deal but I thought it might be useful for someone... :-)

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

If you couldn't be bothered to do it yourself it's a great holiday and that elephant hills camp is not cheap! Roll on December.....

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

it's not ALWAYS cheaper to DIY.

I tried with our trip for next Jan and it worked out a few hundred dearer by booking direct. As it happens we booked a flight and accomodation package with an agent and are sorting the transfers ourself :)

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

faceman, sent you a pm

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,803 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

faceman01

The package certainly includes excellent accommodation but bear in mind it is Low Season when accommodation prices are often half or less than in High Season and, particularly in the Khao Sok part, the weather could have a more significant impact on your enjoyment. A quick DIY cost using Booking.com for accommodation for Bangkok and Khao Lak and Elephant Hills direct plus flights using Skyscanner shows:

Sheraton 3 nights £270

Elephant Hills £485

Le Meridien £682

Total £1437

+ Flights (Jet Airways) 2 x £ 475 = £950

Total £2387 compared with total package cost £2858. Allow about £200 for transfers and it is still about £300 cheaper but as previously stated if you want everything organised for you, you might consider it worth it.

Booking direct wit hotels these days as part of a DIY holiday is often more expensive than with a reputable 3rd party on-line agent unless the hotel or its group has a special offer.

Bath, United Kingdom
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

Oh wow, I like the look of that! Im looking to plan a trip to Thailand this Sept/Oct don't know where to begin!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

Grace, try to do the trip in September and head to koh Samui on the Gulf coast as October is the rainiest month in Thailand and September is still the monsoon period on the Andaman coast.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

chrella do you work for the koh samui tourist authority as every reply you put on here is don't go there go to samui.

are you actually basing your replies on first hand experience of the weather for the months of September and October ?? the reason I ask is I travel to Thailand for 3 weeks plus every October since 1997 and it certainly is nothing like what you post on here on a regular basis.

I suspect you were a one trip wonder for a few days one October and got a day of rain before heading over to samui where you had a better time.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent holiday package from the UK...

What Arandora is to Khao Lak, Chrella is to Koh Samui. Arandora does it better. :-)

Thank you NorwichBlue1 for voicing what many others have felt for quite a while.

Green season in Khao Lak suits us just fine.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 01:00