We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
845 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Having never been to Thailand we are on the verge of booking for next year.

1st problem....we have always been All Inclusive and been advised to stay B&B in Thailand.

Is the food as cheap as people say in the Beach Restaurants and Beach Bars ? We are not big eaters or big drinkers. We can get All Inclusive for around £1650 each and B&B for about £1200 each....can anyone offer any advice on this...

2nd problem....can't decide from JW Marriott, La Flora, Khao Lak Bhandari, Khao Lak Bayfront Resort. We would like a Hotel that has a choice of Restaurants and Bars along the Beach, a nice stretch of beach that's ok to swim in and possibly snorkel. As I said before never been before and would like some advice or even different Hotels to look at.

Many thanks

SQ7

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
594 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

All of the hotels mentioned in original post are straight out of the Thomson brochure.

Book your own flights and hotel and save a fortune. My Daughter just returned from Bhandari and said she wish she had a) booked her own deal and b) avoided Thomson hotels as they met too many Brits looking for roast dinners and all day breakfast and sky sports.

I hate the idea that Khao Lak cod become the new Phuket.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 17:31
U.K
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Starting to get worried, we booked to stay at the Merlin months ago and now it is part of Thomson AI, hope we have not made a big mistake.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Eve1963,

Did you book through Thomson? And did you book AI? If not, the Merlin is a large resort with bookings from many different travel companies/agents/direct bookings, most of which I would think are not on an AI basis. It is certainly not exclusive to Thomson's. Plenty of options there and in the immediate vicinity and over the mountain about 10 minutes into the main township of Bang La On.

U.K
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Hi Alan,

No we have not booked through Thomson, we are flying out with Thai having 5 days in Bangkok and then moving on to Khao Lak staying at Merlin on a BB basis.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

I on't tink you will have a problem then. The ones who have booked AI are the ones who will regret it by missing out on the real Thai dining options in Khao Lak.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

I am one of those that booked the All Inclusive option at the Merlin. We are not usually AI fans (or Thomson fans), but the price for AI direct flights was the same as for BB with indirect flights (and some long stopovers). It was never my plan to go to Thailand AI, but there is nothing stopping us eating out and paying extra, after all I hear that Thai food is relatively inexpensive, so the AI is just a bonus.

We are definitely not your roast dinner, all day breakfast type, and we don't wear football shirts either :).

liverpool
Level Contributor
494 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

There can be such snobbery regarding all-inclusive tourists - I have been both in my time - great to see someone biting back - have a lovely holiday and what a great deal!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

No snobbery at all. The only point I or anyone else has made about AI in Khao Lak is that first there are less than a handful of resorts offering AI in Khao Lak and not many throughout Thailand so you do not have the choice of resorts or locations and second if people have paid more for AI than they would for B&B and don't want to waste what they have paid it is a shame if they are constrained to their hotel. If as turquoise23 says he/she has paid the same for an AI package, flights and all, then fine.

liverpool
Level Contributor
494 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

Yes i understand all of this and I would rather go b&b and give money to local Thai's,

I am in a fortunate position to do this as I have the confidence to book independently due to years of travel, financial security and my IT skills being o.k . I just hate the insinuation that all all-inclusive customers don't understand this , that they are somehow a 'breed' that are not respectful of other cultures :roast dinners , sky sports etc......... best not to stereotype.

Lets hope thomson et al encourage repeat visitors to the area who then will have the experience and confidence to book independently to bolster the local economy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Which hotel and B&B or All Inclusive

I don't think Thomson or others offering AI are interested in the local community and that's not the reason for not choosing AI. I've enjoyed it in Jamaica and hated in Cancun, both times being virtual captives of the resort we chose. Khao Lak is completely different from those and other major international destinations. It is a small, relatively compact area with great opportunities all around, the same opportunities to tour on whatever basis you stay on but with limited beach facilities and in some cases non-existent (thank goodness) such as motorised water sports that make AI attractive elsewhere. Therefore, in my view, the benefits of AI are not attractive enough in Khao Lak but I understand that some want to budget and pay for as much as they can in advance. It's not a question of customers not understanding but without the knowledge of a particular destination they rely on the information in the glossy brochures which don't contain the same information as on a forum like this.