We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LTR - Leaving today report

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
308 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
LTR - Leaving today report

We have just finished our first trip to Khao Lak, spending 10 days from 27th June until today, 7th July.

We had been to Phuket twice before, and wanted to expand our horizons a bit. Since our last trip to Phuket in 2010 I had seen Khao Lak mentioned a few times on Tripadvisor, and we decided to try it out.

I wanted this to be a special trip, so I splurged on a Private Pool Villa at the Ramada. This was a good choice - very nice hotel and room, and having our own private pool was fantastic. We couldn't have been happier with the hotel or the location, right on the beach.

For the first 4 days we had tremendous weather - hot and sunny without a sign of rain. The next 4 days were solid rain, torrential at times. The last 2 days have been mainly fine with the odd shower or two.

We ate at several restaurants around Khao Lak and found them all very good. I would say that the restaurants are slightly cheaper than Phuket, massages are about the same price, and market stalls are slightly dearer. We visited the market at Bang Niang a couple of times and really enjoyed it, trying several food stalls and buying fruit and clothes. We also went elephant trekking (in the pouring rain), visited the Tsunami museum and Police Boat and wandered around the streets a bit.

Overall we really enjoyed our time in Khao Lak. It is MUCH quieter than Phuket, and the people, including shop-holders, are very friendly and not pushy at all. This is probably its weak point as well - when it rained for 4 solid days there wasn't a lot to do. Many of the people around were German and Swiss, a smattering of other nationalities, and quite a few Aussies. I heard from a couple of people that the bookings at Ramada in July were over 70% Australians.

If you want a quiet, relaxing holiday Khao Lak is definitely worth considering, especially if you are interested in visiting the national parks around it.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LTR - Leaving today report

Sounds like bliss Ddkent, So looking forward to it!!! Who cares if it rains, it will be WARM!!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LTR - Leaving today report

Thanks for your report, Khao Lak is quieter than Phuket, in the past we have split it with Phuket which we find is the ideal combination and it will have been much quieter than usual because it's the green season.

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
562 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LTR - Leaving today report

Thanks for the report, glad you had a fantastic time except for the rain. I will be going for the first time in Oct having been to Patong Beach twice already so really looking forward to seeing a different area.. Again thanks for the update so looking forward to visiting the area

Cheers

4. Re: LTR - Leaving today report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19