We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi,

I am not sure if Cocotang is still around but I was wondering for some advice on surfing again.

We spent two weeks in Khao Lak a few years ago and are heading back next May for 21 nights (8 of those in Phuket).

We are staying at the Renaissance Phuket and The Sands Khao Lak and was wondering whether anyone can recommend surf spots for the hubby and his mate (got to keep him entertained while I am at the day spa!). What about the beach where JW Marriot is? Hoping that there is somewhere within walking distance of the The Sands, but this may not be possible.

Where can you hire a board these days in Khao Lak? We won't have a car but can arrange taxis, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Steph

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Renaissance Phuket...
3,206 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
The Sands Khao Lak by...
2,284 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,643 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

If you serch for "cocotang" (who I think is away on holiday) or "surfing" his previous posts contain much of the information you are lookin for, I think, as does the FAQ on the right which leads to this Traveller Article tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c178716/Kha…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Thanks so much Arandora, once again. I have read some old posts but I wasn't sure if the surf shops had moved in the past three years. Last time the shop had moved and we couldn't find it. And then on the day we were leaving, we discovered that it had moved about three doors down from our hotel!!! Arghhh! :)

Perth
Level Contributor
568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi Steph,

Sitting on our verandah at NTBR 1 watching surfers out front at the light house as we type. The Sands is about 800m to the north of here, about a 5 min walk. Should be plenty of opportunity to surf a break either side of the light house in May. There are a number of signs posted around Khao Lak advertising surf board hire with contact numbers. Don't think the beach in front of the JWM is as good as others.

I'm sure Cocotang will reply with better information shortly.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi Steph...!!...Matt owned Pakarang surfshop around 3 years ago(He is now in Chiang Mai)...His shop was in Bang La On down a small Street if you remember,then he sold the business to Ching who operated the business a few doors away as you stated....Ching transferred the operation to Memories on Pakarang Beach where he rents out surfboards of all shapes and sizes from short boards to malibus....Please check out the Memories Restaurant website for surfboard rental prices....

As for surfing in front of The Sands....??....Put it this way,the most favourable beach for surfing in Khao Lak is Nang Thong....It is possible to rent boards off Lee as Lee surfs here a lot and it is quite common to see him here every day for surf checks.....He carts his rental boards around on his saleng(3 wheeler)and parks next door to the Suwan Palms Resort/Hotel.....I am not sure if Ching or Lee will allow you to take the surfboards to other beaches....??....

If you rent off Ching,he will allow you to take his boards to Pakarang Reef(Best waves on Khao Lak)...Actually if the waves are pumping he and his gang will probably go surfing with the guys to Pakarang reef....Check my report on surfing Pakarang....!!

Anyway,I would say you would have to arrange transport to get to and from Nang Thong and also Pakarang....I have my motorcycle licence,so I rent a scooter and ride to the surf with (short)board underarm in a sling....

There are other great surfing spots in the Khao Lak area and just begging to be surfed again...However,these spots definitely calls for transport and in one case,a long tail boat....A great surf exploratory experience if the guys manage to befriend the local surfers and hopefully they will reveal secret spots....

Tell the guys not to expect medium to large amazing surf....Rather,the surf will be average 2-4 feet and possibly up to 5-6 feet if they can score the right swell....These same swells hit Indo....And these waves can be a heap of fun....!!

Haven't been on holidays Alan....Moving house and that aint no holiday....!!...

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

If you are on Facebook you can contact Lee on Facebook under Khao Lak Surf ....

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi Tanmar....I am jealous...!!...Sitting on our NTBR 1 verandah....Puhleeze....!!..??....LOL...

Perth
Level Contributor
568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi Cocotang,

Four guys out at the moment. Very choppy with washing machine surf. Not a good break today but they are giving it a go. Happy house moving!!!

Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Hi Steph

Go see Mark on Nang Thong beach (Siam Surf Dogs) for surf hire and advice. We have his mobile number if you want it.

We are always in Khao Lak for the month of May each year (stay at Kantary) but go down to Nang Thong often and see Mark, might see you there in 2014.

Regards,

Maureen

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
70 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Doesn't Mo at The Rusty Pelican in Bang Niang also run a surf school? Does he rent boards?

Cocotang - maybe Tanmar's sitting on my verandah!!!! (very jealous, just waiting for the right fare sale to get back there later this year)

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Rusty Pelican
Rusty Pelican
658 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling Cocotang and other surfies :)

Thankyou thankyou thankyou all so much for all that fabulous info! I will makes some calls/contacts closer to the time but it looks like it's definately possible.

And don't worry cocotang, the boys don't need massive surf, they will probably just be working on their paddling skills anyway ;)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak