We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limit on the amount at ATM?

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Limit on the amount at ATM?

Is there any limit of the amount at the ATM in Khao Lak?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

Yes. The local limit set by the Thai bank is 20,000 baht per withdrawal but that is subject to the maximum amount and number of withdrawals per day set by your bank.So if your bank only allows the equivalent of 15,000 baht that is the maximum amount you will be able to withdraw. If you want more than 20,000 baht go into one of the banks with your debit card and passport and ask the bank to make a withdrawal that way. Normally they will tell you to use the ATM machine several times so that they can get their 150 baht withdrawal fee. If you say that your bank will not allow this or you need more than the limit to pay a big bill, like your accommodation, some will do it. I have done this without a problem at the Siam Bank at the op end on the left of Bang La On and the Bangkok Bank nearly opposite. With the Kasikorn Bank it seems to depend what mood the manager is in.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

Thanks for the reply. My bank has a limit at 20.000. But is that in bht or in my home currency?

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

I've found that Hsbc have 1 atm in Bangkok so I'm going to use that I think when I go in Feb. Going to check tomorrow that I won't get charged etc

London
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

20,000 bht, local money.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

Reply #1 "The local limit set by the Thai bank is 20,000 baht per withdrawal"

Matt

As far as I am aware there are only AEON and some Citibank ATMs that do not make charges for withdrawals plus whatever HSBC charges.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

But is the limit of 20.000 bht for one transfer?

And then I can do more then one transfer after each other?

Or is the limit of 20.000 bht the only transfer I can do at one time?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

It might be a language problem but as I said in #! "The local limit set by the Thai bank is 20,000 baht PER WITHDRAWAL" that is 20,000 baht maximum for each withdrawal but the number of withdrawals you can make in one day is determined by your bank not the Thai bank. If you try to make too many withdrawals the machine may hold back your card and you may have to wait for it to be returned.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

yeah i have read that only aeon dont charge, but because i am with hsbc bank in uk i may not get charged from the atm in bkk at all. worth a try anyway, as its not too far from my hotel

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

Why should you not get charged? It is the Thai banks that make the charge of 150 baht for a Visa debit card and 180 baht for a Mastercard debit card at any ATM in Thailand except for AEON and Citibank or where your particular bank accepts those charges. You should check with HSBC what their policy is and charges are especially as there is only 1 ATM in Bangkok even if it is near your hotel.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Limit on the amount at ATM?

The amount also depends on which Thai banks atm you use, a few of them issue up to 30 notes, so you can withdraw 30,000baht eg, Bank of Ayuthaya & Krungsri. Bangkok Bank you can with draw out up to 25,000baht.

But no matter what the Thai atm's limits are it all depends on your maximum daily withdrawal at home as you will not be able to go over this.

Cathy