We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami anniversary

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Topic
Tsunami anniversary

l am watching The Impossible set in Khao Lak, a sobering reminder that today is the anniversary of the Asian tsunami.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami anniversary

Been on the beach all day and had several thoughts in memory of both survivors and the victims.

The movie is very sobering but well worth watching.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami anniversary

Next year will be the 10th Anniversary and a very big event as HRH the Royal Princess will attend the ceremony at the Rue.Tor 713 (Police Boat) site in Bang Niang where the Police Boat that saved HRH while she was swimming off Bang Niang Beach was washed up. The site has been turned into a more fitting memorial to all those who perished on that fateful day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami anniversary

I just rewatched the Youtube footage shot by,I think someone who was in the yellow painted restaurant on the side of the cliff adjacent to the National Park(Lam Ru..??)??....It looks like it was shot from there anyway.....

A not very well shot video,however it hit the spot....And noticed some poor guy just standing there when the first wave knocked him off his feet.....So sad and frightening.....

I think i recognised all along the Nang Thong Beach pre lighthouse......Incredible...!!.....Nearly 10 years later and it still affects me the same as the day it happened.....

canterbury
Level Contributor
768 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami anniversary

we've just come back from the memorial, it is certainly poignant to look at all the photos and the wall with the flowers which had been left there.

it just struck me how random natural disasters are.

LONDON UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami anniversary

My wife and I were in our bungalow on Nang Thong beach when the water came that day and I don't think they could have made that movie any more accurate. We've been back many times and God willing we'll be there for the 10th anniversary. Having problems booking our accommodation at the mo. But maybe just too early?

Edited: 27 December 2013, 20:15
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami anniversary

If you are trying to book through major on-line agencies and medium to large resorts it is probably a bit too early yet for them to release their 2014-15 rates. Direct enquires might have more success.

7. Re: Tsunami anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18