We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Pakarang surf shop/memories beach bar has lockers for rent? Thinking of heading there today but don't want to worry about our stuff while in the waves!

Also, any idea how much a taxi from Chong Fah resort area to up there would cost?

Tried calling memories to get the info but no number we found online would connect us.

Thanks!

Jane

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,271 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

I doubt very much if Memories or indeed any beach restaurant/bar/club will have lockers. I doubt also that you need them. We are at a different local place on the beach nearly every day and we leave what valuables we take with us, including my wallet, in our beach bag while we go for our long walks. Never any thought that anything will have been removed while we are away. If in doubt leave your beach bag at the restaurant/bar for free safekeeping. Taxi fares are shown in the FAQs on the right but it should be no more than 300 - 400 baht.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

It was exactly as you describe! We were in the waves and our stuff was completely undisturbed. I guess we're just used to much sketchier places!

Taxi from Chong Fah was 400 baht and took about 15-20 minutes. Surf board rental 200 B/hour; paddle board was 300b/hour. Surf is (very mildly) up if anyone is interested! The beach is gorgeous; definitely recommend a visit up here to anyone staying closer to Bang Niang. Free beach loungers!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

The guys at Memories are brilliant. Love that bar. They would definitely take care of your things if you asked.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

Jane....Surf season is between May and October....Rare to find any swell at this time of the year tho' it may well happen....And they most likely would have told you this fact at Memories....

Say Hi to Ching owner of Memories/Pakarang Surf....What a cool/chillout spot they have at Pakarang...!!

As a matter of interest...Did the taxi take you over the 3-4 kilometer potholed track off the highway to Memories or via the beach road at Pakarang and drop you off in front of the Apsarus Resort...??...

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

The pot holed road! Ha. It was a fun experience.

We knew it wasn't the surf season but we love to surf so thought we'd take some long boards out and try to catch a few slow rollers. It was fun to just bob!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,271 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

Cliff

The road down to Memories is now as smooth as the highway compared to when you were last there. Most potholes were filled in when it was used as access to the new Apsaras Villas site which is directly behind Memories.

If you want a bit more peace and quiet (or don't like reggae music) and IMO better food Khai's Family Seafood restaurant which is a couple of hundred metres before Memories on the track and on the beach. It also has free loungers and you can walk up to memories and still hire the surfing gear. Khai's has great memories for us as that is where we chose to have our Xmas Sunset Dinner with our English and Aussie friends.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

Thanks Alan...!!....It must have been a real sight to see me from behind as I tried to manouver my scooter up and down.slipping sideways in and out of the pot holes......It wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh now....

I am amazed how I didn't manage to go over the handlebars and end up in potholes full of water....Mind you,I did this just after the rains....And yes Jane....It's heaps of fun....!!...As you love surfing,I'd highly recommend you return in low season to sample some really good waves.....especially out Cape Pakarang....

8. Re: Memories beach bar/surf shop - lockers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22