We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly beach resort?

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly beach resort?

Hi,

We were looking at going to Koh Samui but are struggling to find accommodation that suits, and a kind TA expert suggested Khao Lak instead! Would really appreciate any advice/ recommendations.

We'll be holidaying with our toddler and my parents at the end of May and are looking for:

a 2 double bed villa within a resort

resort with a gym

walking distance to some nice bars and restaurants but still quiet and family-friendly

walking distance, or on, a beach

Thai style design (the ones we narrowed it down to felt too western- they looked like our apartment!)

around $300 US per night

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Just back from Khao Lak-very family friendly-take a peek at Mukdara Beach Villa Resort-on the beach,great food and bars on your doorstep-beautiful place-about an hour from the airport.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Le Meridien on Pak Weeb Beach, the loveliest of KL's 25km of beaches has family rooms, connecting rooms and suites, great Kids Club with family pool and beach restaurants either side. It's about 20 minutes by shuttle or taxi into the main restaurant and shopping areas.

The Mai Khao Lak further north on the same beach is very much a family resort with a variety of accommodation and same location advantages as Le M.

Nearer to the centre on lovely Khuk Khak Beach is the J W Marriott which has a family wing and kids club and adjacent beach restaurants.

At the top end of the main township of Bang La on which has most restaurants, bars and shops but located down from the highway on Nang Thong Beach with restaurants on the beach a short walk away is the Sands Resort with good children's facilities and variety of accommodation but least Thai style of the other resorts.

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Mmmm..??..Alan...I wonder who that friendly TA expert be...??....

Chabby,I can understand what you mean by staying in an apartment that looks similar to your own....Tho' at $300/night,I am sure you will obtain something just that little bit more special and hopefully what you would consider,Thai style.....

However,could you inform us on your own resort/hotel suggestions which you thought were un-Thai style please...??...

J.W.Marriott does have a great gym...!!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Hi Cocotang,

We were considering Code or Lanna on Koh Samui but they look too much like (nicer versions of!) home, and not very Thai.

Thanks for the tip- the Marriott looks amazing but too expensive I think

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Thanks so much, I'll take a look!

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

Thanks Arandora,

Really appreciate your advice. The Meridien looks within budget too ($300 for all of us).

Do you know if any of the 5 star resorts let you use their gym if you're not staying there? Or if there's a gym in Khao lak? I've seen some 3.5 star resports that look nice but either no gym or poor gym. The husband is insisting on having one (to escpae his in-laws probably!).

The 3.5 stars that look good are the Khao Lak resort and the Orchid resort. Think one of them is on Khuk Khak beach which you mention.

Any idea if either are any good? The TA reviews for both are really good.

Thanks again

Abby

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

we always stay at the orchid and it is lovely. They do have some connecting rooms both in the main wing and I think in the newer wing as well. The family room arrangements are well detailed on their website and incorporate a living area; in the main building these are on the ground floor so just a stone's throw from the pool and breakfast area. The beach itself is literally seconds away-essentially the hotel is beachfront. Not really walkable to restaurants for dinner, but the hotel runs a shuttle or will easily arrange transport to town every half hour scheduled as I recall. there is a nice restaurant on site and some nights we feel lazy and just order room service which we eat on our balcony overlooking the sea. Lunch by the pool is also relaxing. Bliss!

We always deal directly with the hotel and they quote a better price by email than is published on their website.

We are trying a new place in khao lak for a few nights this year (this is a major step for us, as we love the orchid so much, but felt we should try out something else!) and so will be staying in a villa at Thai Life homestay which is further north in khao lak. We will report back but it looks fab and the reviews seem okay. Here is the link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g612391-d1967…

If you want thai looking accomodation this should fit the bill!

Edited: 10 January 2014, 11:30
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

You may be able to use the gym facilities of other resorts - at a price, of course!

There is a very good independent gym, Body Balance, on the right of the highway as you leave Bang Niang. See this previous topic on a similar subject tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Body Balance is about 10 minutes by taxi from the Orchid Resort which is on Khuk Khak Beach and about 15 - 20 minutes from the Khao Lak Resort which is on Sunset Beach. Bear in mind that the Khao Lak Resort is closing at the end of April for refurbishment and the addition of about 75 new units so is discounted anyway.

Thai Life Homestay, which SueinWales refers to is a lovely Thai style resort but is located about 20km north of Khao Lak near Baan Nam Khem where the Tsunami Memorial is located and near to the ferry to Koh Kho Khao. Other than its own excellent restaurant there is not much in the vicinity and short walking distance other than very local places back up on the highway in Bang Muang. There is Thai style accommodation nearer to Bang La On and Bang Niang bit IMO I think you will be well pleased with the Orchid Beach Resort.

9. Re: Family friendly beach resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17