We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Looking forward to my trip next week. Where are the best places to change money...staying at La Flora ?

Is it better to use ATMs or change cash ?

What is the current exchange rate being offered in Khao Lak ?

Any advice appreciated

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Have a look at the FAQ on the right for general advice about Currency Exchange options. It includes a link to the current day to day rates at all Thai banks which are the same all over Thailand. You get better rates in Thailand than at home and cash gets best rates with no fees but is less safe than ATMs where on top of any fees charged by your bank you are charged 150 baht for every withdrawal with a Visa Debit Card, 180 baht with a MasterCard.

There are a couple of ATMs on the beach road leading up to the highway and one outside the 7 Eleven minimart at the junction with the highway. Do not usebany TMB ATMs as the rates are very poor.There are also a couple of independent money changers to the left on the beach road after you come from the La Flora where you might get good rates for cash. There are no banks or bank exchange kiosks in Bang Niang where you are staying but there are 4 main bank branches with kiosks outside as well as on different parts of the highway and a number of ATMs.

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Thanks for the advice.....much appreciated

Holywood, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Arandora We will be staying at La Flora and I have noted the general advice in FAQs ,essentially not to buy bahts outside Thailand,as well as your information about currency exchange in Bang Niang,for which much thanks.Two points on which your advice would be appreciated

-how far are the bank branches/kiosks from La Flora? I can still manage a brisk walk although I would,of course,also check rates at the local independents to which you refer

-today's Thai bank rates on daytodaydata.net are up to 52.05/£ at Super Rich (Siamese Commercial 51.3),and are better than 50.7 available online in the UK.So the general advice seems to hold good,though the margin is rather less than suggested in the FAQ link.Does that accord broadly with your own experience?I might decide to save wear and tear on the flip flops if the banks are a long distance from La Flora and their rates are not materially better than I could obtain in Bang Niang.

On a more general note,your contributions to the forum are immensely helpful,particularly to first time visitors to Khao Lak like ourselves.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

The banks/branches are all in Bang La On which is about a 10 minute taxi ride from La Flora. Or you could stroll down the beach which is shorter and quicker than going up to the highway then down into Bang La On. Super Rich is not the best comparison although it gives the best rates but there are only branches in Bangkok. The branches in comparison with UK in Khao Lak are Bank of Ayudhya, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Siam Commercial Bank and TMB (always lowest). Usually the rate locally is 2-3 baht more than UK. I would try the independent money exchanges on the beach road in Bang Niang as at times last High Season they were giving as good if not better rates for cash than the banks.

Thanks for the thanks.

Holywood, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Arandona Very useful,thank you.

uk rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

GBP to THB. At LHR last Thursday buying THB 04 Dec £1 = 45.6 THB. On arrival HKT Friday 05 Dec buying THB £1 = 49.7 THB. In Bang La On yesterday 06 Dec buying THB £1.00 = 50.40 THB (I had £50 notes and managed to get a higher rate than that on asking). On Bang Niang Beach Road this evening buying THB £1.00 = 50.71 THB was available at several exchange booths.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

You should never exchange currency at home before you leave, except for perhaps a small amount for immediate needs but NEVER at UK airport. That is worst rate for any currency. The rates at Thai airports are usually less than away from the airport.

The Day to Day rates for all Thai Banks are shown here …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx and are usually higher than private money exchanges.

uk rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

#7. Arandora - a bit abrupt your first sentence !!

My post was offered as advice only !!

I, and I'm sure many others, are worldly wise enough in the do's and don'ts of foreign currency to know one doesn't necessarily purchase foreign currency in UK prior to travelling abroad.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

Not intended to be abrupt, just to emphasise to those who don't know any better that you should never exchange money at your home airport. Very often people do that at the last minute without realising that they can access currency exchange at far more favourable rates on arrival in Thailand and better still at their destination most often with official currency exchange. My reply was intended to support yours.

10. Re: Currency exchange in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 17:18