We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodgy Websites...??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Dodgy Websites...??

This was brought up in another recent post and I thought it was very interesting so thought I would make this a separate post....

How do we warn others and how does one spot a dodgy website especially when booking your accomodation...??...

Information on this matter is so important and would hate to see someone scammed....

IE:If you email them and if they should reply...Do you notice mispelling,bad grammar....tell tale signs...??...

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dodgy Websites...??

Good Point Cocotang

A lot of the "dodgy ' websites look very convincing, quite often offer free nights, and other free things.

and often have a generic page with add ons like airport pickup etc. all the same price, on all their websites of hotels they purport to represent

that should ring some bells.....

I have found, or should I say ,have learned ,

if the deal looks too good, stop, re google the place and double check which website you are looking at.

it should all become a little more clear, just by looking a little harder between the lines

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dodgy Websites...??

If it is member of a hotel chain then a hotel would usual come up in a search under that chain. If it is an independent then there should be a direct link, email, phone or page submit, to the resort. The dodgy ones are not usually stand alone, they are referred from a search site which is the one that offers deals supposedly at particular hotels on behalf of the hotels but in reality that are false. These are the ones to be careful of.

The best advice is for search sites use only reputable and established ones and if any come up with results significantly cheaper than other sites or the hotel itself treat it with the utmost caution.

This is not a problem peculiar to Khao Lak by any means, indeed reports of scams are few to my knowledge.

Use that rarest sense these days, common sense, and you should be alright.

3. Re: Dodgy Websites...??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17