We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The sinking of Police Boat T13

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
The sinking of Police Boat T13

Visitors to Khao Lak staying in Bang Niang or spending time on the beach there may have noticed the arrival recently of a navy vessel anchored off-shore opposite the La Flora Resort. This is ex-Police Boat T13 which is to be sunk on Saturday 22nd March 2014 to create a wreck that will form a reef in time and produce environmental benefits to the area as well as, no doubt, another dive site.

The sinking and ceremony to mark the occasion takes place from 8am to 12 noon and everyone is welcome to go along to the beach in front of the La Flora to witness this event.

This area is also of great significance because it is near where one of two police boats overseeing the vacation of Khun Phum Jensen, son of former Royal Princess Ubol Ratana (his father was an American, hence the last name) at the time of the 2004 tsunami. Khun Phum was jet-skiing when the wave struck, and he and the entire crew of one of the police boats (which was sunk) died. The other boat, T813 was swept inland and has been left exactly where the tsunami deposited it and is now the centrepiece of the Tsunami Memorial Site opposite Bang Niang Market. The Royal Princess and her daughter escaped from the tsunami by fleeing to the La Flora where they were staying.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Thanks Arandora I would love to see the ceremony.

Just want to add Khun Phum was His majesty the King grand son. His mother former HRH princess Ubolratana is His majesty the king daughter because she was married to commoner and foreigner she was strip off her title and later give it back to her only princess title not HRH.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

How far off shore will the sinking be..

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Wish I could be there for the ceremony but will be there in thoughts having stayed at La Flora.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Sweetpea

Thanks for updating the information. :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

I would say the ship is about 400 metres from the beach at the moment. Whether that is where it will be sunk I don't know. See pics which will be added to on the day at https:/…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,359 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

The link didn't work for me Arandora, but at least I got to see what you look like, pretty much as I imagined : )

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Works for me - and no pictures of me, just the boat! Anybody else tried it?

Kent UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

We are staying at Chong Fah at the moment and can see the police boat and A's photos very clearly.

L

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Thanks for the pics Alan.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The sinking of Police Boat T13

Thanks for posting the photos of the police boat Alan, We wish you a safe trip back to the UK , already booked for January