We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak at night

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Khao Lak at night

Hi,

Is it safe to ride back from bangla on to bang niang at night on a scooter. I have been to khao lak but it was only a short stay last time and normally we do ride scooter around phuket and samui.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak at night

Did I read this right...??...Bangla to Bang Niang....??...At best top speed the scooter might do 70KPH,which means it will take you about 3 hours+....Now if it is raining,add another half to one hour...There's no way you can ride top speed in the rain....!!....And riding in the rain is not safe,especially at night.....Also take into account that you will not be accustomed to the roads,so you will have to ride slower to be safe.....

Totally do not recommend riding Bangla to Bang Niang....And I do rent and ride a scooter whenever I am in Phuket or Khao Lak.....And...I am an experienced,licenced rider which makes a whole heap of sense....

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak at night

Cocotang - I think he means Bang La On to Bang Niang

Raj - If you are licenced here and have an international licence you should be ok, otherwise I wouldn't hire a scooter. It's only a few kilometers between Bang La On and Bang Niang, 200 baht max for a driver.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak at night

Agree completely with Tezzat, particularly because at the moment the highway between the two townships is under reconstruction making it four (very fast) lanes with varying road surfaces and sidewalk construction and no cycle lane which will continue for a month or so I would guess. Street lighting is very inconsistent too along this stretch with dark patches in places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak at night

thanks tej....how much distance is it though between the 2 beaches of khao lak i,.e. bangala ON and Bang Niang ???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak at night

Thanks Tezzat...!!...Ban La On,Bang La On...!!..??...Now wouldn't it be funny if raj really meant Bangla Road...!!....Correct spelling is so important these days,otherwise perception is the next best thing...!!...??...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak at night

No mate ...i meant Bang la ON to Bang Niang within Khao Lak LOL

Edited: 28 March 2014, 03:26
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak at night

The beach for Bang La On is Nang Thong Beach and continues over a creek which runs fast and deep at high tide with a little pull across ferry operating (when its owner feels like it!) straight over to Bang Niang Beach - not recommended at night! Distance depends where you start from on Nang Thong Beach and where you get off on Bang Niang Beach. Say from near Nang Thong Bay Resort which is about centre of Nang Thong Beach to the bottom of the beach road in between the Ramada and La Flora Resorts on Bang Niang Beach is probably about a 30-45 minute walk.

8. Re: Khao Lak at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak