We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Further to the post in the "What's in Khao Lak this week?" Sticky, here are details of the first annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest to be held on Pakarang Beach near Memories Beach Club from 26th to 28th April. See phuketgazette.net/phuket-sports/…29153 and https:/…khaolaksurfingcontest and more background at …saltwater-dreaming.com/modules/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Around 10 years ago,I once saw a mysterious photo of long tail boats anchored in a remote bay...somewheres..??...After writing to the photographer and getting nil replies to this location and then after hours and hours of searching for this location....And now can't even remember how I discovered it....??...

It was a photo of waves breaking out on Taxi's reef @ Cape Pakarang....Wow...!!

So, a few years ago,I sampled my first wonderful experience with the waves of Khao Lak....When then,Matt owned the first surf shop in Khao Lak....with,as far as I know,no locals surfed or maybe one,due to the memories of the 2004 tragedy which of course created fear of the ocean....

Now...!!..??...Only a few years later and the competition....Competitions are a great bonding experience for all competing and others involved and onlookers....Tho' a lot of surfers would rather keep the soul of surfing away from competition,however this is their choice and totally respected....

In conclusion...10 years after seeing that photo of Taxi's..Taking into account that Taxi's Reef is a fickle wave and only breaks perfectly when the swell is up and the winds are favourable and the tide is at high......I had the pleasure of surfing classic Taxi's with Matt and this memory will last forever...!!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Way to go Coco,

ill slip up there and take a few snaps...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Tentative Contest Schedule for the KhaoLak Surfing Contest.

Friday 25th (the day before contest)

14:00 Registration at Memories Bar opens

Saturday 26th *Tentative Schedule:

8:00 Registration opens

8:30 Opening ceremony / Beginner Division registration closes

9:00 Beginner Children's Division heats start (all heats 20 minutes)

10:30 Beginner Adult's Division heats start

12:00 - 14:00 Lunch break / Free surf

14:00 Registrations for remaining divisions closes / Heat draws announced

14:30 Grommet's Division heats start

15:30 Women's Division heats start

16:30 Longboard Division heats start

17:30 Men's Shortboard Division heats start

Sunday 27th Tentative Schedule:

8:00 Men's Shortboard Division heats start

9:00 Longboard Division heats start

10:00 Women's Division heats start

11:00 Grommet's Division heats start

12:00 - 14:00 Lunch break / Free surf

14:00 - 18:00 Division Semi-finals *(or Finals depending on situation, if finals, then award ceremony and closing party on Sunday).

Monday 28th *Tentative Schedule:

8:00 Division Finals commence

Awards ceremony following Finals

18:00 Closing Party

*Schedule to be determined depending on wave conditions and schedule advancement.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Hope to see you there Malcolm, wherever you are

5. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 01:35
6. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 02:14
7. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 10:05
Edited: 23 April 2014, 10:05
Norwich
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

We watched the first day of the Competition. Was generally quite enjoyable, lounging on sun decks, beer in hand watching people surf. The atmosphere was excitable albeit a little chaotic. From what I could make over the PA was that there was so much going on the judges were unsure who and what they were judging. Said PA was also rather loud too, even for my 28 year old ears a love of music that most would hate! The music was good but the Thai commentary was loud and I obviously didn't have a clue what they were talking about. As nice as it was we decided to go to White Sand Beach (and a stupid idea to drive to Rawi in Phuket on another day!)

Yesterday was the final and it seemed that the event was followed by a party. It didn't occur to us that there would be a party there otherwise we would have ventured over rather than go to the market. When we got back to Apsara the music was booming and sounded like they were having an awesome time! Shame that I was committed to bed that day.

Comically, today Memories is probably operating at about 30%! The scene as we ventured over mid morning was apocalyptic! Sun loungers were everywhere. Strange shelters had been made from sun umbrellas, tarp, plastic bags - anything. Random beds, tents and bottles were everywhere. The table arrangement in the bar was nonsensical and irregular. New, overwhelmed faces were behind the bar looking terrified at the task of a fruit smoothie whilst they obviously covered until the regular staff arrived.

I'd say the whole event was a success, for Memories, and those who were participating or knew what's going on. For the tourists whose visit was aptly times, it provided some light entertainment, especially this morning watching all the staff recovering from their good times, trying to find the ketchup!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 10:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

das...Great competition follow up report...!!...Sounds like it was a success and no doubt happening again next year and probably bigger too....Hope there were good enough waves for the comp....Size is not the issue..it's quality...!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Annual Khao Lak Surfing Contest 26th to 28th April

Sounds like typical Thai organised chaos. Enjoable nevertheless, I'm sure.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak