We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
825 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Day 4 - transfer to KHAO SOK NATIONAL PARK

After 4 nights / 3 days in Bangkok we took an early morning private minivan transfer to DMK for the Air Asia flight to Surat Thani. This flight was the first think booked/ paid for in our whole itinerary as I had just happened to browse the AA site and saw flight for 555 THB each!!!

As we have 5 in our party (all with cases!), I was not sure we would be OK in a regular taxi. I could find details about buses from Surat Thani (via the station!) to Khao Sok - but I wasn't sure if this was from town centre or airport!!

Not wanting to be stranded with kids and luggage I opted for the private minivan transfer arranged via our accomodation.

We were met and driven all very efficiently, to the Rock and Tree House Resort near Khao Sok National Park, where we had 2 Flora Bungalows. This time the kids were to be in a separate building form us!!

We had very mixed feelings about this "resort" which although more than adequate didn't quite deliver what we had wanted/ expected - however we did all enjoy the stay here.

After settling in our rooms the manager showed us how to get down to the river and we spent a couple of hours swimming and playing. The kids loved the jerry rigged rope swing - somehow attached to the cliff face above the the river - that swung them from the rocks into the river. Natural, simple fun in the great outdoors - surrounded by stunning cliffs and rainforest!

In the early evening the manager gave us a lift into the village and recommended a couple of resturants. The village had a good selection of eateries - all reasonably priced.

After the early start and the traveliing we were all a bit tired and and found it very humid! The first time walked back to the Rock and Tree House it seemed like a long way - and I was wishing that we had booked somewhere more central to the village and Entrance to the National Park - but by the end we got used to it!

Day 5 - Self Guided Hike in National Park

After breakfast (not great at this place!) we walked to the National Park Entrance and followed the short trail to the waterfalls.

On the way there it did seem a lot further than the advertised 3km and took us a good while to get there. The trail is easy to follow without a guide however it definitely is not flat!!

Although hot the kids enjoyed the slow hike to the swimming place and the "waterfall" (which at this time of year when water levels are low proved to be a bit of a grand description!)

We had to hot foot it back when we realised that it had taken us over 2 hours to climb up there and it was approaching 3pm - you need to sign out of the park by 4 pm - otherwise I guess they send out the search parties!!

Just as we were exiting the park we stopped for some fabulous fruit shakes - watermelon for the kids and mango for me - yummy, refreshing AND healthy!! They became a real fave while we were in that area!

Just outside the park gates we stopped and had some fried rice and some more drinks. These simple, tasty filling meals cost less than a tenner for us all (GBP) and took us out of an rain storm just in time.

We hiked the long way back to the Treehouse!

After our day walking in the stifling heat - we were very grateful for a lift back to the village for dinner and also to find and book a tour to the dam for the next day.

Day 6 - Dam / Long Tail Boat/ Lake/ Cave!

9am pickup to go to the Dam. After an hours journey we boarded the longtail boat (with canopy) for the fantastic trip to the Khlong Toei ((??) Raft hous - v. basic -"jungle toilet" - complete with bees nest in "gents".

Our guide (POM ) was fascinating explaining that he had been born in the jungle, and could not read or write - but he spoke great English - and was full of interesting facts about the Dam and its history and also knowledge about the jungle and the caves.

The boat trip was just over an hour and the scenery was stunning. We arrived at the raft house and had some time for swimming and kayaking before lunch. Afterwards we set off to do the trek through the rainforest to the Nam (something !) Cave.

Pom was concerned that rain was coming in and so he took us through the cave in the opposite direction to normal. He was worried that the water levels in the cave would rise quickly if it rained and so wanted to get these parts out of the way first. It seems most trips exit through the deeper waters. He expertly guided us through these caves often taking my daughter (8) on his back to get through the deeper sections. She is a confident swimmer and would have managed but he wanted to keep the pace up and her cautiousness would have slowed us.

The pace of this trek and cave walk (at times chest deep in water!) was quite brisk - and was at least 2.5 hours.

returning back to the raft house we had some light snacks (sticky rice and banana and sliced fruit) and more swimming chances before boarding the longtail boat back to that minivan. Got back at 6.30pm

The whole trip for 5 of us was 5000 thb including park fees and we booked with the lady at the KS Green Valley resort. She was very helpful and accepted payment by credit card (+3%).

The adult prices of the trips were broadly similar at all the tour agents in the village but the big difference was with the pricing for the kids. In the end we paid for 3 adults with 3 kids being charged 1 adult price. Our accommodation would have charged us half price for the the kids and one of the operators charged full price for the 10 and 12 year old only offering half price for the 8 year old. Another was half price for the older 2 and a flat 200 for the youngest "for dinner".

Back to the village for dinner - a very tasty Pizza!!

Day 7 - having been very pleased with our tour we booked to see the Elephants the next day with the same agent who again only charged our party of 5 the price for 3 adults (2400thb)

the kids loved the short trek on the elephants and my son was thrilled to ride on the neck of our elephant on the return journey.

We had lunch at the Rock and Tree house - a very tasty yellow fried noodle dish before our minivan transfer down to Khao Lak.

Days 8-11 Chilling at the Khao Lak Laguna Resort

After a hectic week in the city and the jungle trekking it was wonderful to be able to do "not a lot" all day. The Laguna has a great beach front location and a wonderful swimming pool - what more do we need with 3 kids.

Days were largly spent by the pool with a break to walk down the beach to the beach cafes for some (late) lunch or a massage on the day beds under the palms to the sound of the waves and the birds! (me - not kids!)

The kids did a couple of the free workshops run by the hotel - including towel folding !!

In the evenings we ventured out to the shops and restaurants along the main road.

We all very much enjoyed Khao Lak. We loved the hotel with its large airy traditional rooms and the stunning beach/ rainforest views whilst being able to be in the pool!

The town - although not the most scenic - provides a good variety of resturants and shops without being too busy. I walked the length of the beach beyond the Sands - and would have enjoyed being slightly nearer to this end and the greater choice of eateries.

We found the beach uncrowded (almost empty) and I was never once hassled by a seller of any description - in fact saw no sellers on the beach.

Day 12 - transfer by Minivan to Krabi (long way but flights much cheaper by time I booked!!) for flight to BKK.

On the way we stopped at the Naval Golf Club to see the Turtles. There is not much there and this was OK to visit as we were passing. We had wanted to stop at a temple also but our taxi driver was not very accurate with timings and we thought we were running out of time to visit and get to airport. In the event we had plenty of time and ended up sitting at Krabi for an extra hour - but we didn't want to miss our connection to out international flight!

We tried to book a snorkelling tip but unfortunately we need to book a bit further in advance so should have got onto this as soon as arriving in resort.

We all loved both of these destinations and did some amazing excursions and also had some great relaxation time.

Both locations provided a plentiful choice of resturants needed when feeding a family as well as some excellent accommodation choices.

Can't wait to return........... just waiting for LHR - BKK routes to be released for April 2015 on more airlines!!!

Edited: 01 May 2014, 01:18
Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
825 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Sorry its a bit on long side!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Thanks so much for the time and effort to write this - I enjoyed reading it.

Caroline.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Great read, thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,344 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Thanks for taking your time to write two great interesting and informative reports. Another Khao Lak Lover added to the growing list!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Thanks for posting your JBR - the longer the better I say :) giving good information about where you stayed and what you did from day to day is very useful for those planning on travelling to that destination.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Hi,

Enjoyed your report - the jungle stay sounds fantastic. I wish we had seen more of Khao Sok and done more hiking... maybe next time.

Thanks for sharing,

- K

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Not too long at all, loved it. Heading to these same places in april 2015 hopefully and dutifully researching. Sounds like an awesome trip!

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
825 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Yes - Arandorra - definitely another Khao Lak fan! It has an ideal mix and suited our family very well. Not too busy but with enough to eat out and mouch about in the evenings if wanted.

Already thinking ahead to next year and would like to return - although do not want to repeat the same trip - any ideas as to what else combine in a 3 centre holiday in this area??

Next year our school holidays do not fall over Songkran so some of the flights between Phuket and Chang Mai may be more reasonably priced - as I would like to go there.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,344 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Chiang Mai is VERY hot in April! One of the very few times I have been in a McDonald's in Thailand and that was for the air-con and to get out of the heat. If you do return to Khao Lak, a great place to finish off before returning home is Nai Yang Beach, an old style Thai beach resort in a beautiful little bay with soft white sand, clear and shallow sea, lined with beach restaurants for real dining with your feet in the sand - and it is less than 10 minutes from Phuket Airport so great relaxing way to catch your flight back from Phuket. You can walk up the beach or through a National Park area and park yourself under a tree and watch the planes coming in over the ocean and in the evening see them take off into the sunset. We stayed at the Dewa Resort and really enjoyed it for 4 nights.

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR - part 2 - Kids, the jungle and the beach!!

Not too long at all. I could have carried on reading it for hours.

It will be my first time to Thailand next month so these reports are helping to build up the excitement and also provide ideas of what we can do whilst there.

Until 5 months ago Thailand was a country I had heard of but never thought about visiting, now I'm regretting not going as a young backpacker lol.