We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3D2N Itinerary for family

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3D2N Itinerary for family

Hi, today I saw wonderful reviews and descriptions about Khao Lak and was convinced to take my family there in early July. :) I will be travelling with my 1yo daughter and my 59yo father. Since we have extreme age group in the family, I would like to have expert opinion on suitable activities.

My mom is very much into nature park and she mentioned that she's interested to see/ride elephants (but not the bathing part), and my sisters are into beach bumming and water activities. I'm not sure though if such activities are advisable for us given the age group.

Lastly, I made sure to choose a very nice accommodation since July is wet season and there's a high chance of staying indoors, so we chose to stay in Chong Fah beach resort.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

The Chong Fah is an excellent small resort with very good restaurant. It is elevated above the beach which at that point has been eroded by previous Wet Season ocean conditions so there is no beach bumming or sun bathing on the beach at that point. You should also take care with both your toddler and father that they do not go near the edge of resort's frontage as there is quite a high drop to the beach when the tide is out and waves break over it when the high tide is in or the sea is rough.

There are several elephant treks/camps in or around Khao Lak. Perhaps the most suitable for tour age range is Sairung Elephant Camp which is located about 30 minutes north of Khao Lak but is familiar to local taxi drivers. It is a flat ride through a rubber plantation and beautiful countryside to a waterfall and back. "Passengers" can feed and bathe their ellie at the end of the trip.

Here is a link to the latest map of Bang Niang showing the location of the Chong Fah Resort in relation to the rest of the area at post #15 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

Hi arandora, thanks so much for the feedback, especially about beach condition in Chongfah. Since we might not be able to have beach time in the resort vicinity, would you know if we can easily go to pak weep beach? Do I need to arrange transport to go there? I can't find pak weep in the map (to begin with, I'm really poor with maps).

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

Yes you will need to get a sang thaew to Pak Weeb beach but from recent reports from people staying there, there will probably be nowhere open. It is about a 20 minute ride from the Chong Fah and cost about 350 baht. Here are the rates for taxis to various places from just near Chong Fah walagata.com/w/…Taxi_Prices_2012-13.jpg

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

Oh dear, if most shops are closed in wet season, will it still be worth visiting Khao Lak then? :(

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

Who said most shops will be closed in Wet Season? You were asking about beach conditions. Khao Lak is not a shopping destination even in the Dry Season. Shopping is mainly tourist souvenirs and merchandise with a large three afternoons a week market (Monday, Wednesdays and Saturdays) in Bang Niang that is open all year. If you want shopping malls, department stores and designer shops then Phuket (Patong and Phuket Town) are nearest and you can take a day trip there.

6. Re: 3D2N Itinerary for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:16