We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Hi All,

We stayed in KL at La Flora in January and had a really fabulous time.

My husband had indicated serious interest in returning and we are looking at next Jan/Feb again. I feel like we did quite a lot last time and whilst I loved KL, I would like to do something extra this time as I am worried it won't feel very different.

To this end, I am wondering if we could twin KL with another area nearby, Koh Lanta has always been on my wish list and I know there are some smaller islands along the coast that we could perhaps visit?

On this trip we did two nights at Khao Sok, Surin Islands and local temple/turtle sanctuary etc. I think it might be nice to do KL for a week but something else as well, has anyone done this?

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Hi ,khao lak and ko lanta is easily done as is khao lak with Phuket,krabi or trang. With a short flight out of Phuket you could go anywhere in Thailand . If you want some real peace and quiet you could also do koh kho khao island or is very easily done as a day trip and hire car or local driver to get you round the island after a 5 minute ferry transfer..

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

We do a two centre trip, first week relaxing and diving in Khao Lak. 2nd week we transfer down to Karon/Kata as its only an hour or so drive from Khao Lak.

Its a much busier location in Phuket and a bit more full on but its the 3rd time we've done a break this way round and the two contrasting destinations work well for us.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Thank you for your thoughts.

The one thing that really amazed us on our trip was just how easy it was to get around when there with the many mini buses etc.

Hubby isn't usually the returning type so its clearly a special place for him!

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
839 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Hi Jody

We too went to Khao Lak this year , loved it and want to return and like you are looking to go back but with a different combo to our last trip.

This year we were in Bangkok for 4 nights before flying to Surat Thani for 3 night next to Khao Sok National Park in a Tree house type accommodation. Here we had the jungle/ river / lake experience.

It was then a further hour to Khao Lak to transfer for some beach relaxation.

This combo worked really well for us.

Next year I am looking at combining Khao Lak with possibly Koh Lanta and maybe even Ko Yai Noi - but although there is info re timings of transport departures I am struggling to find out how long these transfers take!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,827 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Khao Lak to Ko Lanta is about 4-5 hours depending on ferry times. Boss quote includes ferry tickets.

Khao Lak to Ko Yai Nai again will depend on ferry timings but Khao Lak to Bangrong Pier on Phuket takes about 1 3/4 hours then 1 hour longtail boat transfer three times a day at 9.30 am 12 noon and 5 pm. Alternatively you can go via Ao Po pier and charter a longtail from there. See http://www.phuket.com/island/kohyao.htm Again Boss will advise and arrange.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
839 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Thanks Arandora - swift and helpful replies as ever!

Given that I am planning next holiday around Khao Lak - you may be seeing alot of me on here !

How different/ similar are Ko Lanta and Khao Lak - is it a question of "more of the same"?

As before we will be looking for mid range accommodation (preferably beach front) with acces to a minimum of a couple of local restuarants. During the day pool, beach and a couple of trip possibilities will be the focus.

Would it be feasible to combine Ko Lanta and Koh Yao Noi - or will messy transfers make it better to consider doing one or other of them??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,827 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Sorry. I've researched transfer times for a possible future trip for us but not been to either. Hopefully others who have visited either or both can advise or post on either of the two forums.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Hi Sid,

Your trip sounds similar to ours (minus Bangkok), we loved Khao Sok, very relaxing!

I'm reluctant to split between two beach destinations as I think it might be very similar. Hubby not convinced on Bangkok so currently looking at Chiang Mai or Kuala Lumpur for 4/5 days then back to KL for relaxing. It looks like you can fly from Phuket to Chiang Mai direct in just over 2 hours so that's well worth considering.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Koh Lanta and Khao Lak are similar but different. The main difference is Koh Lanta is an island with one main town (Saladan) on the NE tip. Most resorts are on the west coast of the island. The Thais are predominantly Muslim and the expats/tourists are predominantly Swedish.

Khao Lak is 25km-long stretch of the mainland with two villages (Bang La On & Bang Niang) fairly close together and 'central' to the area. The Thais and expats/tourists are more on an eclectic mix.

Both have beautiful beaches with a range of accommodation from backpacker 'fan huts' to 5-star resorts.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
839 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible return to Khao Lak questions

Hi

I missed that you had already been to Khao Sok - read it too fast!

We loved Bangkok and even though we have now been through there 4 times - we would still like to drop in when we next return!

Chiang Mai is pretty high up on our list so I think that we will try and get there. Also considered Kuala Lumpur if we fly on Malaysian.

Alot will depend on which carrier we use to get to BKK from LHR (or even LGW). Air Asia had a fab sale with some good prices on the Phuket -Chiang Mai flights last week but as wee haven't sorted main flight I wasn't too sure of our route - hoping that they will have another sale before next Spring!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak