We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

I'll be going w/ my two boys (8 and 10) this coming fall - yay!

It's our first time in Thailand, and it's just me and the kids so any words of advice on any subject are more than welcome.

We'll probably be spending most of our time in or close to the the resort - partly bc one of the boys has a chronic illness and thus is often tired/in pain, and partly bc it is usually pretty much impossible to get them away from any swimmingpool... But I do plan to go snorkeling with them (am relying on the kindness of strangers to watch one of the kids in the boat while I swim with the other and then switch). Will we be able to buy or rent gear for snorkeling, or should I bring it?

Also, any details about the beach at merlin would be apreciated- will it be safe for them to practise snorkeling there (with me watching as a hawk, of course)? Neither of them is a strong swimmer; I'm an ok swimmer, but due to bad shape, not more than that. (And no, they won't be swimming in obvious bad conditions - I'm talking about days with quiet water).

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Snorkelling gear is provided on tour so no need to bring it with you. I would be wary of leaving the kids to swim on their own in the ocean On Khao Lak beach in front of the Merlin as it slopes quite sharply. They would be better practising snorkelling in the pool. Alternatively if you walk to the left from the Merlin you cross on to the lovely and largely deserted Poseidon Beach. Go around the headland and past the rocks if the tide is out and you will find shallow and beautifully clear water.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Thank you so much, it's incredibly helpful to know we Can just walk around the headland. On the map it looks like maybe 15 minutes walk?

Is it possible to buy snorkeling equipment in khao lak, or should I buy and bring from home (I didn't male myself quilte clear previously :-))

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Aaaaaaand I just checked a more detailed map plus read LEFT, not RIGHT, sorry.

So, just down the beach to Poseidon Hotel? It looks to be really glose, right?

Edited: 08 June 2014, 07:45
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

The Poseidon Bungalow Resort is about 20 minute walk at the far end but it depends whether the tide is in or out as to whether you can get around the rocks to it. It is set overlooking the beach so you climb up the path to reach it. Its restaurant overlooks the river estuary and across to Tab Lamu and you can often sea fish and if very lucky a turtle swimming past. Lovely birds flying about too.

Since you don't need snorkel equipment for tours I would wait until you arrive to see whether the conditions for snorkelling from the beach are safe enough to warrant bringing it with you. There is very little marine life to see as there are no inshore reefs to attract it. Dive shops in Bang La On 10 minutes away over the mountain sell quality equipment but obviously at quality prices. Local shops sell inexpensive "fun equipment."

Tours to Similan Islands, Koh Tachai (you can snorkel from the beach there) and Surin Islands start again on 1st November but possibly earlier on 15th October as in the last few years depending on ocean conditions.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Arandora, you are incredibly helpful, it is much appreciated!

Good point about waiting to buy equipment, and nice to know that it is 20 minutes walk rather than 10. Is it on the beach, or does the footpath continue all way?

I'm sure my kids won't mind about lack of marine life if practising around Poseidon, or even in the pool if the hotel allows it -I sure didn't at that age. The water, sun and snorkeling is quite enough :-)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

By the way, I didn't hear about Koh Tachai before - I'll be sure to check it out, as snorkeling from the beach would be great with my two boys. So thanks yet again :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Koh tachai, the Maldives of Thailand - see tripadvisor.co.uk/…30871062

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Wow, that looks amazing *daydreaming*.

Maybe I should book a tour in the first week- it looks so wonderful I may actually be able to pry the boys away from the pool and go twice ;-) (And no, they don't get to make all decisions; but happy kids equal happy, relaxed mum...)

I can't wait, and neither can the kids.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

One of best tour operators to Tachai and Similan Islands is Fantastic Similan. If you turn right from the Merlin along the beach past the other resorts and turn left just before Jo Seafood (very good established restaurant) there is a Tour Shop, Mr. Moo's Tours (or something like that). It is own ed by Mr. Moo who owns and runs Moo Moo's Ladyboy Cabaret Bar in Bang Niang and also runs Fantastic Similan with some of his ladyboys. They are great fun, especially with kids, and very professional. Go there when you arrive. No need to book in advance. That way you will get the most competitive prices.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merlin Beach w 8 and 10 year old

Wow, that is so convenient!

I'm so happy that I read in here before choosing my resort and ended up with merlin rather than apsara (which looks wonderful and peaceful, but a bit too secluded for us - plus the pool at merlin seems better).

Also it is great to have the advice about the tour operator; otherwise, I would probably just end up ordering through my travel operator - which is probably not the cheapest nor necessarily the best option.

Btw - ladyboys as in - ladyboys?? Really? I'm sure the kids would enjoy that - to the chagrin of some fathers in the school, they've both been known to wear nail polish *lol*