We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is khao lak for us

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is khao lak for us

Hi all. We are having a little wobble about our holiday to khao lak this winter. We are booking out flights this week but someone mentioned to me that khao lak is a divers place and really is only a stop base for people going on trips. Also there is no atmosphere at night...... I don't think they like khao lak!

Hubs and I are looking for beautiful beaches, places to explore during the day, good restaurants. At night we want to be able to have dinner then go to a bar have a few drinks and watch the world go by. Just somewhere with a nice buzz. We have done the Maldives and we like isolation but with a nice feel.

Will khao lak offer this or should be looking at krabi etc? No to patong!

Thanks

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is khao lak for us

Khao Lak is a quieter place and if you want to relax you can and sightsee you can do that to! Krabi would offer you probably more sightseeing as there are plenty of day-trips accessible from Ao Nang in Krabi and the islands are just beautiful. Plenty of beautiful beaches, islands to explore as well, in Krabi and personally if I was you I would probably choose Krabi. That way you can relax at your hotel or a nearby island or eat out in close proximity to some fabulous restaurants. Great shopping also.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is khao lak for us

It`s not for everybody so it`s hard to say if you`ll hate it or love it.

If you have a few weeks holiday, you could spend a few days there before moving on to someplace else. Nothing is too far away in that corner of thailand. If you love it come back next time.

I hate the concrete (come on army), the highway, etc, but love the food choice, beach front hotel, long stretch of beach, etc.. I don`t say too long to make me wan`t to be some place else.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,527 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is khao lak for us

Beautiful beaches? Khao Lak has 25km of glorious beaches - see pics of them all fro late last November to April at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Only a stop base for people going on trips? Certainly if you can tear yourself away from the beaches and the restaurants (Thai local and regional, Seafood, Steakhouses,Italian, Japanese, Mexican, German, Swedish) it is a great centre for things to do in and around. Again let the pictures show some popular ones at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

No atmosphere at night? True Khao Lak is no Patong or even Ao Nang in Krabi but you say that is what you are looking for but there are many bars to follow delicious dinners with live music going on until the early hours in some. See the Top Question FAQ on the right -------> "What Evening Entertainment is there in Khao lak?" which leads to this information tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c202327/Kha…

There is plenty of other information in the Top Questions and via the Things to Do link on the green menu bar at the top of the page.

If you are persuaded to come to Khao Lak and want information on accommodation, please post again with an idea of your budget and the type of accommodation you are looking for and its location - beach front essential? Near to lots of restaurants and bars all the time or prepared to be in a more secluded but beautiful location with just a handful of beach restaurants/bars nearby and commuting into town on occasion for more/shops?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is khao lak for us

We loved khao lak, we ate great food, walked for miles on the beaches, visited khao sok, the turtle sanctuary, temples.

Its not as quiet as Maldives obviously but if you like variety then its a great place to go, no in your face touts or hassle. It was our first trip to Thailand and I'll be back before long.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is khao lak for us

it would be khao lak for me. no major dive theme to the area, it's available, just life every beach area, but no need or pressure to dive, as I'm a diver, and never dove there. had nice time, every time there.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is khao lak for us

Hi,

Khao lak isn't all about diving infact I would reckon they would be in the minority as there are so many other things people are there for. Great beaches- can easily head out and spend a day on a different beach all within 30mins r so. Abundance of restaurants with all different types of food. There is loads to do during the day in the way of exploring. At night it is not every pub pumping out music all night -it's a lot calmer. And I would say a much more laid back friendly feel than Ao Nang.

I would tend to agree with the suggestion of maybe splitting your stay if you are unsure as Khao Lak and Ao Nang are not a day's trek apart. Also I would suggest maybe thing about doing a few island stop offs (if you like the adventure if travel & new places) eg phi phi, lanta, Yao, etc.

manchester, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is khao lak for us

I was having a similar wobble but we have now decided on the sensimar from 6th July. We already had flights booked to phuket so the big decision was to go back to kata/karon/panwa or try khao lak for something new. After reading this thread i am less wobbly (well i might be after pre holiday diet)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is khao lak for us

Hi,

We have been to both Khao Lak & Krabi 4 times each since 2010. We had been to Krabi 3 times before discovering Khao Lak, we then went to KL 3 times not even considering Krabi again. We did both Krabi & Khao Lak last trip, Oct-Nov 13, at a friends request for their anniversary, the result being nether couple has any desire to return to Krabi again.

Khao Lak has all you are asking for, beautiful beaches (couldnt find any of them in Krabi),places to explore and great restaurants. Our 4 favourite restaurants in Thailand are all in Khao Lak. At night not as busy as Phuket or Krabi, but great places to eat,countless options, and some great bars to drink at as Arandora indicated above. And I agree with all the posters above diving trips are available like most Thai destinations, but it is not solely a Dive place or stop base for trips. Give Khao Lak a go, you wont be sorry

Terry

scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is khao lak for us

So glad thus question was asked as we too have been having second thoughts about our January trip. Having been to Krabi several times, Lanta, Samui, Kata,Koh Mak we fancied trying somewhere else. The hotels do seem much more expensive than other parts of Thailand like Ao Nang for example

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,527 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is khao lak for us

It depends what you are comparing with and standards.