We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help gratefully received :-)

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any help gratefully received :-)

Hi there,

We are experienced rainy season travellers so the possibility of rain does not bother us but guess we got a bit blasé about it when we booked Khao Lak for 13 night end of August beginning of Sept. Looking at posts here it seems like a lot of restaurants will be closed, particularly those on the beach. I know there will be restaurants in town that will be open so we have options outside of our hotel if we take a cab We are staying at the Apsara which I know is a bit isolated but can anyone tell me whether there are any restaurants in the vicinity that will be open, ideally beach front but happy to eat anywhere there is good Thai food and have no problems eating where the locals do?

Also, I know our options for snorkelling are limited but can anyone suggest a trip we could do where this would be an option and recommendations/prices for who to book through.

Finally, any suggestions for any other trips that are worth it, something a bit of the normal tourist trail?

Just over 4 weeks to go and I can't wait. It might rain but it will be warm rain and rainy holiday days still eat dry work days :-) :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,786 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

There are only a few restaurants either on the beach or the road near the Apsara and to date no reports of which are open unless someone picks up on this topic and reports back. However, if you walk along Pakarang Beach directly facing the Apsara and past the Memories Beach Club (which reported that it was closing for the Wet season, and go across the creek on to Khuk Khak Beach there is a row of restaurants leading up to the J W Marriott Resort, some of which try to stay open all year, beach conditions permitting. There are local eateries by the side of the main road at the top end nearer to the highway. It's a long walk though but if you do catch a cab into Bang Niang or Bang La On where there will be restaurants, bars and shops open you will see as you pass for future reference.

As for trips, there is no snorkelling available directly from Khao Lak even in the Dry Season and the Similans, Surins and Koh Tachai which are the popular destinations are closed in th Wet Season. The nearest is probably Phi Phi Island which is a long day trip from Khao Lak and subject to very rough ocean conditions.

Local tour shops will offer tours that are running at the time. There is one just on the right around the corner on the road up to the highway owned by Ruk Talay who are a tour operator as well as tour agent which hopefully will be open. You will find others in "town".

Trips north to Khao Sok National Park will be operating albeit some of the trails may be closed and south to Phang Nga Bay where you will be able to do a sea canoe side trip.

For local trips contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com to see what he is offering or Lora of Dior Travel (local guide and tour operator based in Bang Niang) on diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th

Hope this helps.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

Hi we will be staying at the apsara at the beginning of October so would be grateful of any information regarding restaurants open . Thankyou

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,786 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

The position in October is basically the same as in my reply at #1. The extent to which businesses that closed for the Wet Season re-open will depend on the weather, beach conditions and the nuimber of guests in the Apsara and neighbouring resorts. However, inland places in Bang Niang and Bang La On and other beach restaurants that closed for the Low Season start to reopen in Octobe as soon as they can.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

We were there last October but stayed at Nang Thong, so we had no problem with restaurants etc, due to location

Back again for 4 nights End August beginning of Sept , $ weeks 3 sleeps, cant wait

Michelle

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

I was going to stay at Apsara July 17 - Aug. 14 but switched to a resort in Bang La On because I wrote to Memories Beach Bar (next to Apsara) and found out they are closed for 'rainy season'. Reports are there is nothing open in the immediate vicinity of Apsara - you must walk up toward the highway, or over to the north side of Cape Pakarang to find the few independent restaurants that are open.

I'm unsure of Memories planned opening date in the fall.

6. Re: Any help gratefully received :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak