We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

Chicago
Level Contributor
727 posts
27 reviews
Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

I am planning to be in Chiang Rai for 2 days at end of November. Most of the tours are private tours for groups. What are some things to do for a solo traveler?

6 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

Look for tours when you arrive.

I'm a solo traveller and always have a problem trying to book a tour online. Always told 'minimum 2 people,

However, had a fab day out on a cycling tour arranged when I got to Chiang Rai. Ask at your hotel/guesthouse when you arrive.

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
261 reviews
2. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

agreed with above post , when you search online most places say minimum 2 people but I have always found that when actually there you can join a group

if you don't want to join a group you can pay for a private guide or hire a taxi

plenty of information here

I am coming next month for a 3 day solo trip and am relying on joining a tour , my hotel which has a tour desk said its pretty easy

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
928 posts
148 reviews
3. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

Hi,

Just spent a week in Chiang Rai and would not worry about finding a tour. There are at least a dozen small tour offices scattered around the city's tourism hub. They all seem to be more than willing to do a tour with just one person, but shop around prices do very.

Also, you can reach places like the White Temple and Black House very inexpensively on your own.

Safe travels

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

OP I take it you're not hiring a motorbike/car?

Chicago
Level Contributor
727 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

I would love to rent a motorbike but I have not ridden one before so I don't want to be one of those tourists that crash their bike onto side of the road...

But I am no longer staying in Chiang Rai since it's very similar to Chiang Mai and Bangkok where I will also be visiting.

Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?

As a solo traveler, I'm interested in seeing older and colorful or unusually constructed temples One is Wat Ming Mueang Temple and reviews here in Nov stated under construction and all or some of the interior had been removed.

Does anyone know if the contents have been replaced and any scaffolding and such is removed so visitors can enjoy seeing the interior and exterior again?

I also noticed that after mid Nov 2017, reviews disappeared...there are none!

Lastly, I my interest was peaked to visit Chiang Mai from Bangkok after I viewed some really awesome temples, including the white one. But I just read that most was built in the 1990's. I thought all these temples here were old.

I found a few older ones, but compare to being in Siem Reap and seeing Angkor Wat and surrounding temples, they could not compare.

I like to think Thailand is known for the colorful temples, which Siem Reap is not - but if most of these colorful ones in Chiang Mai are new, I'm wondering if it's worth the trip there for me?

If anyone here could enlighten me about the above, even better yet if you've been in Siem Reap - or could tell me about some other amazing sites, other than nature sites, in Chiang Mai that are worth the trip?

Thanks for your insight!

Bob

Reply to: Solo traveler to Chiang Rai. What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted