We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

I am visiting Northern Thailand this year. Part of the trip involved 3 nights in Chiang Rai followed by 3 nights in Chiang Mai.

Private Transfer booked in the UK is quoted as £79.

I have considered a hire car for the day or negociating locally for a taxi.

Has anyone made this journer, how and at what cost? Any contacts for taxi drivers in Chiang Rai.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi jmw192,

You will get this far cheaper if you book when you arrive. Most cab drivers in Chiang Mai will charge around 700B for a half day and 1400B for a full day in the immediate surrounds of Chiang Mai itself. I asked our cab driver in Chiang Mai how much it would cost for him to drive us to Chiang Rai... from memory I think he said around 2000B. I don't know if this is a good rate or not - but it is certainly far, far cheaper than the price you have been quoted.

Here is another option for you to consider. There is a very good bus called the Green VIP Bus. It runs from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai return four times a day. The bus only seats 20 people and the seats are huge with lots of leg room. They are the size of business class seats on an airplane and recline and have foot rests that come up almost flat. The windows in the bus are also large and snacks and water are served. Also a toilet on board. It is a very comfortable experience. Far more comfortable than a taxi seat.

The time is about 2hrs 50 mins direct. If you click on my profile you will see a Chiang Rai Trip Report - around mid October. In this report I give more information on the bus including the cost.

You can't book your ticket until you arrive in Chiang Rai. When you arrive - just go to the central bus station which is right in the middle of town and book the ticket there.

I asked this same question on the forums before we left. Everyone advised that this was the best way to get between the two cities. They were right.

Send through any more questions.

Caroline.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi:

You can obtain a private car driver for less than the 79 UK. We hired a driver from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai (I've done that trip three times). I don't have my notes in front of me right now but I believe the cost was about 1,200 to 1,400 Baht per day plus petrol. Our driver was Mr. Bai. I don't have his email address but could locate a phone number if you desired one. You could also reach him by emailing the guide Jermsak as that is how we connected to Mr. Bai. Mr. Bai had a new van, that comfortable sat 6 plus the driver and the front passenger seat. He provided water and other beverages on the drive also. Jermak's email is jermsak_cei@yahoo.co.th

Hope that helps.

Broder

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Just the normal air conditioned busses are ok for this journey it is only about 2/3 hours or so and the busses are very cheap.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Many Thanks to you all particularly Caroline and Broder.

Someone else has mentioned the Green VIP bus.

I have also made a note of the e-mail address you have given Broder.

The bottom line is going to be whichever I choose, book it in Thailand.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi again jmw912,

All the best with your planning.

I agree - wait until you get here.

If you need a guide please email Jermsak (as recommended by Broder). He is just wonderful. You do need to book him in advance and can do so via email.

The day trip we did with him was one of the highlights of our trip.

Send through any more questions.

Caroline.

Australia
Level Contributor
588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi

When booking the bus ticket are you allocated a particular seat on the bus. I suppose what i am trying to say is do they stop at the 20 tickets for a bus, or do they just sell you a ticket and you can use it on any of the busses for that day. I am trying to avoid the situation where maybe 30 people are trying to get on for the 20 seats.

Also we will be 2 people with 2 medium and 2 small suitcases, and i assume there will be other travellers with luggage. How well can the bus cope with luggage.

Hope this makes sense

Gander.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hi Gander,

Yes, you get to choose you seat - it is allocated.

Bags not a problem. They are stored in the luggage hold underneath. You check them on and they tag and give you a ticket for each bag. You reclaim when you get there. No possibility of bags going missing as the bus doesn't stop. I don't think there is a limit to bags. We traveled as a family of four and had heaps of bags. They didn't count the number of bags against our tickets or anything - my husband just checked them all on with his ticket.

Caroline.

Australia
Level Contributor
588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Thanks Caroline

Looks like we will be doing it that way.

Just one more thing. Do they speak English at the bus terminal. I assume they do , unless of course you speak Thai.

Gander.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

We had no problems getting the ticket - you will find someone who speaks English.

One tip - we found far fewer people spoke any English in Chiang Rai. In Chiang Mai you will have no problems.

If you are going out using tuk tuks or songthaews - get your hotel concierge to write down the places you want to go in Thai.

We got really stuck at one point and just couldn't find a tuk tuk driver who could understand us.

As mentioned - you won't have this problem in Chiang Mai.

Caroline.

Australia
Level Contributor
588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Thanks again

Gander.