We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

England
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

I know that we can buy VIP green bus tickets in the night market and get on this bus in terminal 2 on the highway.

We will be going to Chiang Mai from Chiang Rai in December which is peak season. Should we buy the tickets in advance as I am worry that the tickets will be sold out when we arrive in Chiang Rai.

Do you think the hotel can buy the tickets for us.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

Unless you are traveling over a major Thai holiday, you should be able to get tickets, after you get there. There are several VIP buses each day and you can get your tickets a day or two in advance.

Your hotel might be willing to pre-purchase the tickets, but as they would need to layout cash on your behalf, they would probably want pre-payment from you (plus perhaps a bit of handling fee). Also seats are assigned, so you would have to accept what they choose for you.

England
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

Thanks! I may buy them when I get there.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,343 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

Word seems to be that the smaller VIP Bus is no longer running. There was a 20 seater bus called the Green VIP Bus that ran five times a day. One of the other CM Destination Experts advised that it is now combined with the first class bus. The first class bus has been re-configured and has the large luxury VIP seats fitted into the front of the bus.

Don't think this will make a lot of difference to you - it will still run regularly. The whole bus is not likely to be full - if you have a choice of VIP seats or the first class seats, I would expect you will get one no trouble.

However, it won't hurt to book ahead a day or two if you can.

Caroline.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

I travelled last month from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai on the VIP Bus and it was just the one class - approx 8 rows with one seat, aisle then two seats and paid THB263 from the bus station next to the Night Bazaar. We booked two days in advance as we specifically wanted the 9.15am departure. Our guide Jermsak assisted us with booking it during our day with him.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Night Bazaar
Night Bazaar
6,340 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

There are both VIP and hybrid VIP-First Class buses. The hybrids are used for routes going to smaller destinations, such as Mae Sai. And the VIPs primariy between CM & CR. But since all bus routes transit via CR, Green Bus will sell CM-CR tickets on all buses, so you could end up on either.

There is no real difference in the "inflight" service between the two bus types, just a slightly different seating configuration.

Edited: 15 October 2010, 03:51
Mentioned in this post
Mae Sai
Mae Sai
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,343 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

Thanks for clarifying Mr C.

C.

7. Re: VIP Green Bus tickets to Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 05:18